AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual, Denon makes a wonderful receiver...and a crappy manual. Can anyone tell me what the Dolby Pro Logic II Emulation mode does on the Denon 3803? I think it may be simply the original Dolby Pro Logic, as they have on the Denon 3802, but it doesn't appear any different in the surround options section than Pro Logic II Cinema. Any help would be appreciated!

BTW...very happy with the unit so far...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pro Logic 2 is just an enhanced Pro Logic...with different optimizations for music or cinema sources. It's nothing that is a Denon exclusive or has anything to do with the manual. Check out www.dolby.com for the whole scoop...

·
Registered
30,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gjlowe
Can anyone tell me what the Dolby Pro Logic II Emulation mode does on the Denon 3803? I think it may be simply the original Dolby Pro Logic...
You think correctly: that mode simply emulates the old Pro Logic matrix decoding (mono surrounds and all).

·
Registered
931 Posts
"Pro Logic II is a dramatically improved, updated matrix surround system, based on the principles used to develop the original Dolby Pro Logic decoding back in the 1980s. The original Pro Logic features four channels—front left, center, and front right, plus a mono surround channel that's usually split between two rear speakers. The surround channel is also "band-limited," reducing the treble frequencies. Pro Logic II further enhances the sound with a full-range stereo surround output and a greatly improved steering logic, resulting in high channel separation and an exceptionally stable soundfield."

direct fro mthe Dolby site itself
http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.P...nersGuide.html

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Jules and Zeppelin, the information you post is correct, however what he was asking about is the "Emulation" setting in the 3803's user controls for ProLogic II. The "Emulation" mode is indeed the original ProLogic matrix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah...I seemed to have missed the word emulation. LOL

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help! It's amazing that this piece of information is omitted in the manual (or at least, I couldn't find it.) If it is indeed the original Pro Logic, does it have the options of 3 channel and phantom? More just a curiosity, since I will most likely NEVER use it!

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help! It's amazing that this piece of information is omitted in the manual (or at least, I couldn't find it.)
The manual is less than ideal, admittedly, but the info about Emulation mode is on page 57.

Quote:
If it is indeed the original Pro Logic, does it have the options of 3 channel and phantom? More just a curiosity, since I will most likely NEVER use it!
The receiver switches automatically between these depending on how you have configured your speaker settings.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help! It's amazing that this piece of information is omitted in the manual (or at least, I couldn't find it.) If it is indeed the original Pro Logic, does it have the options of 3 channel and phantom? More just a curiosity, since I will most likely NEVER use it!
It is there in the manual (Honest) It mentions that the 4 modes for Dolby Surround Pro Logic are automaticaly selected depending on your Speaker Setup (see note at bottom of page 57). The confusion comes when the manual calls the mode "Pro Logic" then later on "Emulation"

I got my 3803 on Friday when the local 6ave price matched 6ave.com. Great receiver. I'm not sold on PLII, I prefer to hear what the Director heard with ProLogic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.