Xbox> Optical> Receiver Optical 1
Receiver Out> Optical> Headset

DirecTV> HDMI> Receiver HDMI 1
Receiver Out> HDMI> TV HDMI 2

Receiver Out> lil' speaker wires> center/L/R/SL/SR speakers
Receiver Out> R/W RCAs> Subwoofer

-------------

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to post and thanks in advance for reading!

As you can see by my setup above, I've been piece mealing my AV setup as budget and deals allow. Still working on my audio speakers but that's beside the point :)

Basically I'm looking for advice as to my best possible configuration in terms of audio.

I can't go HDMI through my Denon because it doesn't have 4K passthrough (unless I'm missing something) so my HDMI out goes to my TV. Unfortunately this means I have to go optical for audio out of the Xbox and into my receiver.

This seems to limit my audio out options from Xbox to receiver. I'm pretty much limited to:

Optical Audio: Bitstream Out
Bitstream Format: DTS Digital Surround or Dolby Digital

I then get audio passthrough from the receiver to my headset (which only works if I have Xbox optical audio set to Dolby Digital).

I'd love to find a way to get a 4K picture, take advantage of the best audio possible, and not have to go through my receiver to get Xbox headset audio.

With only 1 out for HDMI and 1 for optical from the Xbox, I think I might be wishing for the unobtainable.

My questions are the following:

1. Do I have the best wiring setup currently or am I missing something obvious?
2. Is there definitely no 4K support for my Denon?
3. Would I lose audio quality using the TV audio passthrough with optical? I've tried this and the only available option outside of PCM is DTS NEO 2:5... It works but I'm not sure if this is just another lame stereo up-convert that wouldn't be on par with TRUE DTS.

Any suggestions of things I don't know to ask would be fantastic :)

Thank you for any help!!

Luis

·
Registered
29,062 Posts
The only way to get the best audio and video quality available from your Xbox is to get a new AVR with 4k passthrough and HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.

Your denon 2307 is way too old to handle 4K and bitstreamed audio like TrueHD and DTS-MA. The 2307 only has HDMI 1.1.

If the Xbox had dual HDMI out (one for audio only) like dedicated 4K UHD Blu Ray players you'd be in better shape.

It might be time to retire this old unit. I have an old 2807 and got frustrated using it because of its many quirks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts