Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am in the process of upgrading my RCA 6220? progressive scan dvd player and am considering the following:

Denon 1600 - Crutchfield $289-329

Denon 2900 - $999

Denon 3800 - Ecost refurb $449, Tweeter demo $699

Denon 4800 (changer) PCMall refurb $299

I was able to see, but not directly compare these 4 at the local Tweeter as they were set up in different rooms. I was very impressed by the build quality of the 3800 (quite solid and heavy). Heard great things about the 1600.

The unit I purchase will become my primary dvd and cd player in my setup. DVD Audio is a plus, as is the SACD capability of the 2900 (although I don't know how much I will use this initially).

Money is not the primary concern, but obviously a good deal would not be passed up for a marginal difference.

Given the above choices, what would you choose and why?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm in your same position but am hesitant to buy anything rebuilt or a floor demo....so I guess that would nix the 4800 and 3800 for me. The 1600 is being phased out and I understand that Crutchfield is back ordered. So whether it becomes available in any quantity is anybodys guess. I'm leaning towards the 2900 but would prefer not to pay the extra costs for DVD-A or SACD as I have no interest in those formats. What I would like is something with the 2900 build quality but without the extra baggage attached.

Mort (that's still looking)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
For video and DVD-audio the DVD-1600 is the best buy unless you really need to have SACD. Since the DVD-1600 is and always will be in demand (even used) you really can't go wrong buying one now (before they disappear soon from stores) and in the future if you need some new features you could most likely sell it for as much or more than you can buy it for now - win/win situation if you ask me. If it meets your needs thats a win too.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Isn't the Denon 1600 a rebranded Panny RP56 ( or RP62) ? Have you considered the Panny RP91? Great build quality, internal scaling and it does DVD-A , all for $299 at Crutchfield. Low price, not overpaying for a universal player and top notch player.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The Denon 1600 is basicly a Panasonic RP82 and is one of the best dvd players out there in terms of video.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by betterdan
The Denon 1600 is basicly a Panasonic RP82 and is one of the best dvd players out there in terms of video.
OK, I knew it was one of the pan models. So isn't the RP91 a better player over the RP82. I know the chipset changed and some claim better picture, but most/all claim the audio of the RP91 is far better esp. for DVD-A. So given this, why not just buy an RP91 for $299 and be done with it.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes the Denon 1600 is more like the excellent RP82, not the inferior RP56/62 models which have CSS on and a color flicker bug. The Denon 900 is also even worse, it has very poor frequency responise resulting in a too soft picture plus it also has the color flicker bug. The newer 910 is better than the 900, but the 1600 is much better than both.

The Panasonic RP91 is a very old (3 years) model and has an old Genesis deinterlacer, OK for film but poor for video material. It does have good scaling features and audio, but for de-interlacing it is inferior to the Faroudja-based Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 and Denon 1600.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RP-91 is great as a DVD player both for video and audio. Problem with RP-91 however is its propensity to die down after a while. Mine died pretty soon with h02 error. I have heard of a lot of people having this problem with Rp-91.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I would second the 2200. It is basically a little brother of the 2900. Not quite as much build quality, but all of the functionality. Unless I hear some really poor reviews it will be my next dvd player.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The Denon 1600 is the ONLY current model that passes all the DVD shoot out tests and is under $330.

Nothing else can come close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input!

It has been informative, although I am no closer now that before. I saw the panny 91 in champagne at crutchfield - very nice looking. Oh well, perhaps I will win the lotto so I can buy them all!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
OK, I knew it was one of the pan models. So isn't the RP91 a better player over the RP82. I know the chipset changed and some claim better picture, but most/all claim the audio of the RP91 is far better esp. for DVD-A. So given this, why not just buy an RP91 for $299 and be done with it.
Because the RP91 is not a better player in terms of picture quality. While the RP91 will do scaling, it doesn't use the Faroudja chip. I replaced a RP91 with a RP82/XP50 without any regrets.

If your concerned about DAC quality for DVD-A, get the Denon 1600 for $300. It has excellent sound quality for DVD-A with its Burr-Brown DACs and has a better PQ than the RP91. You get the best of both worlds (audio and video) for the same price as a RP91.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nekobus
and has a better PQ than the RP91. You get the best of both worlds (audio and video) for the same price as a RP91.
This is incorrect, the RP91 PQ is better than the 1600. 1600 has some high frequency rolloff compared to the RP91 as well as more Y/C delay. PQ is close though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a chance to demo both the RP91 and the DVD-1600 and the picture quality is slightly better on the 1600.

This is just my opinion and others may or may not agree. Both good players but one thing for sure I think is that the audio on the Denon is superior.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nekobus
Because the RP91 is not a better player in terms of picture quality. While the RP91 will do scaling, it doesn't use the Faroudja chip. I replaced a RP91 with a RP82/XP50 without any regrets.

If your concerned about DAC quality for DVD-A, get the Denon 1600 for $300. It has excellent sound quality for DVD-A with its Burr-Brown DACs and has a better PQ than the RP91. You get the best of both worlds (audio and video) for the same price as a RP91.
I do own the RP91 and have the "Lock in full mode" feature on my RPTV, so the scaling of the 91 is a more important feature to me. Overall I'm pleased with the RP91 picture and sound. I do wish it would allow shuffle play on MP3 discs.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
u know, i figured out, i watch, letterbox movies on my pioneer elite pro710 in interlaced and let pioneer excellent scaler to perform the duties, this way i can scale AR!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.