AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am setting up dolby atmos 5.1.2.
The 2 are in ceiling speakers. [polk audio RC60i]. this set up is all being built on my basement as my contractors are building out the whole basement from scratch. So the plan is to have the speaker cables run in-wall and the speakers ready for determining the cutout. I do see from dolby's guide that the 2 in ceiling speakers would need to be in line with the front channels at a certain distance from the seated audience.

Expected as per Dolby:

The distance from the seated audience is looking good in my set up. BUT i am not able to install it inline with the front channel speakers, this is due to the Air vents and pipes occupying those areas in the basement ceiling. Can i place these speakers closer to each other? but not inline to the front channels. As shown in the image below? Will this have a poor performance or is there any other implications behind this?

My proposed layout:

Also this Polk RC601i has directional mechanism so we could direct the sound in any direction. need some help. This layout will also help me to well insulate above the speaker so that its sound proofed well.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Hi, i am setting up dolby atmos 5.1.2.
The 2 are in ceiling speakers. [polk audio RC60i]. this set up is all being built on my basement as my contractors are building out the whole basement from scratch. So the plan is to have the speaker cables run in-wall and the speakers ready for determining the cutout. I do see from dolby's guide that the 2 in ceiling speakers would need to be in line with the front channels at a certain distance from the seated audience.

Expected as per Dolby:

The distance from the seated audience is looking good in my set up. BUT i am not able to install it inline with the front channel speakers, this is due to the Air vents and pipes occupying those areas in the basement ceiling. Can i place these speakers closer to each other? but not inline to the front channels. As shown in the image below? Will this have a poor performance or is there any other implications behind this?

My proposed layout:

Also this Polk RC601i has directional mechanism so we could direct the sound in any direction. need some help. This layout will also help me to well insulate above the speaker so that its sound proofed well.
Those dolby guidelines are exactly that. Very few of us have perfect rooms so we have to make comprises and most often than not with good results. I don't think moving them in a little will affect the sound since you're still getting good separation between the other channels. We have to work with the room so small adjustments like that are fine , just don't go too far off script.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I agree a little compromise is expected although you don’t want to make major changes. Also since you are I. The middle of building I’d go ahead and run wires for a full 7.1.4 setup even if you have no intention of using it atm. If you ever do decide to upgrade you don’t have the start ripping apart drywall & plaster. All it will cost is speaker wire.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts

My proposed layout:

My setup is similar - due to ceiling constraints, could not line up the in-ceilings with mains either, so they are more inboard of the mains. That said, you don't want them too, too close together. I managed to maintain about a 6 foot separation left to right, and my sense is any tighter and the intended effects will start to diminish across the seating area (a single, 3-peson couch in my case). My mains are about 7.5' apart. I think it works quite well overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts