AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently working on my dedicated room which will have communicating doors.

Following advice from the forum, I tried to buy a pair of Masonite solid core door (1'' 3/4). Problem is, all major supplier near me (Montreal, QC) can only provide me with the slab and can't have the door pre-hung.

Since I was set on getting a Masonite door since I know their exact spec (STC), I bought the slabs and I'm now trying to build the jamb myself. Local supplier only have standard 4 9/16 jamb that are not deep enough for my double wall construction and are not solid enough for a solid core door.

So, what kind of jamb should I use ? 3/4'' jamb with stop ? Single rabbetted jamb, or double ? Does it really matter in terms of soundproofing ? I used double walls, DD and GG all around.

I'll be adding speciality weatherstripping, gasketing and an automatic bottom.

I tought I needed a rabbeted jamb because that's how my garage door (the one leading to the house) is built and it's a fire-rated door, so similar to what I bought. But since I'll be buying standard notted pine 2x6 to build my jamb, I would have to machine the wood to get a rabbet. I don't have tools to do this nor the experience. I'm all for learning new stuff but if I can avoid this it would be simpler.

Thanks for the suggestions !

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,431 Posts
You cut the jamb and add a door stop, you can cut a kerf on the edge of the stop with a table saw and that will create a rabbet. Add press in weather stripping, Or skip that and use adjustable rubber gasket perimeter door seals and substitute for the stop or on top of the stop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a rabbeted door stop doesn't help with the "soundproofness" of a door with it's added width vs a jamb with an applied stop ?

For reference, this is what I'm referring to when talking about a rabetted jamb, just in case I'm not using the appropriate lingo :

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,431 Posts
my mistake didn't know what you were reffering to. You could probably make that with two pieces of wood glued together. Rabbet versus Smaller door stop and soundproofing, I think it really is a function of the quality of the door seals you mount on either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot.

I've been thinking about this last night and I think I'm overthinking this jamb question. I'll go with a simple applied stop, deep enough so I can apply some weatherstripping.

Like you said, the seal will do most of the work anyway so I shoul concentrate on those.

Thanks for the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts