AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the community and I'm glad to be apart of all this. I'm currently serving in Iraq, and will be returning home this month. While home, I have a quite large shopping list and I want to make sure I get everything right.

I have the following:

- Macbook Pro

- Adobe suite w/ photo shop ect.. Final Cut Pro

- Semi-professional DLSR (1k-1500 range)

- HD Video Camera in the best format for Mac/final cut pro

Here is were I need the help.... There are tons of HD Video camera's out here, as well as some DSLR's that do HD VIDEO. I'm unsure what would be my best route. I will try to ask my questions, then hopefully you professionals can help me out. Feel free to add any extra suggestions as well...

DSLR - There are tons out, all with different options.. Ultimately, I will go to a decent camera shop and get hands on when I get home and choose the model that fits me best (based on your help). The main question is am I better off getting a decent camera and a separate HD Video Camera, or spending the extra money for a DSLR that does both.

Frame rate..I keep seeing 1080 at 30p... I'm assuming thats 30 frames a second at 1080 resolution. I see that several DLSR's have 24p... What is the frame rate on a dedicated HD VideoCamera? 30, 60, 80? As of right now, I'm leaning towards getting two separate camera's, so I am able to take video and stills at the same time during a event. In that case, is there any certain camera that stands out as a "photo only" DSLR that may be around the 1k mark?

HD Video Format - Assuming I get 2 separate camera's, I know absolutely nothing about HD video camera's... One of the main things is what Format is the best with final cut pro/mac.. Is there any Important features that I should look for in a HD camera under 1k.

Thanks all.. I look forward to the advise.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Video cameras will suit most people better as video cameras, there are a lot of limitations to be aware of with DSLRs when it comes to video.

lack of AF (or bad AF at best), built-in Mic sucks, and only have a 3.5mm jack, only records 4GB files, and crappy ergonomics. Obviously DSLRs have advantages with using your photography lenses, larger imaging sensor, shallow DOF etc. But I have my reservations about recommending a DSLR as a camcorder. AVCHD is a great consumer HD format, and Final Cut Pro (Studio 2 and newer) will import it directly from the camcorder. It automatically converts it to QuickTime ProRes 422, so you will need quite a bit of hard drive space. You might want to consider getting an external hard drive. Firewire 800, 1 or 2 TB, I've never had a problem with these. http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-FireWire...1567269&sr=8-3

Yes, the downside of ProRes is it uses more hard drive space, but the advantage is it provides a much faster workflow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts