AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tried for three weeks to get the sat 119 signal. Lost the signal about 1 month ago after having received it for about 5 months without problems. Checked sat alignment, cables, removed all obstacles in path to no avail. Multiswitch seems fine. All left is the DTC-100 receiver itself. Receive sat 101 signal at about 96 strength but zilch (nada) for the 119. Tried to contact RCA but all I get is the automated system. Even tried the non certified dealer line but they gave me a 1-900- line at a cost of $2.25/min. I thought those numbers were reserved for a late night chat with "Lulu"<G>. No thanks. Does anyone out there know how I can contact live technical help with RCA without having to pay an "arm and leg". It seems that RCA forgot that we customers pay for their mechandize. At least they can offer some assistance. If someone out there has a phone number for technical assistance, I would appreciate it..

------------------

gaz

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Did you try 888-901 4388?

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
gaz

Well I guess that Roll Tide Joke didn't go over very well! You have more experience at here (AVS) than RCA would have in their lifetime. Since I'm a custom installer in Bham I've installed in a few Sats. Call me on my cell at 205-243-1163 if you would like my help.

Dave Richardson

Audio Video Excellence

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the phone number. I'll try it tomorrow. Dave, I'll give you a call also. But, first I will disconnect my DTC-100 and take it by Circuit City. The manager has agreed to let me hook it up to his system to see if it's the receiver that is causing the problem. Thanks again for the help.

------------------

gaz

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
RCA does have a toll-free tech help line specifically for DTC-100 customers. I talked to them several times when I had trouble getting both 101 and 119 satellites with my elliptical dish.

The first time I called in to the regular RCA help line number and talked to a person, they immediately gave me the DTC-100 help line number.

I found the DTC-100 help line folks to be technically savvy and very helpful, courteous and patient. It was clear to me that they were very interested in having happy, satisfied customers.

Someone out there must have that number handy!

You can download a PDA version of the manual from the rca.com web site: http://www.rca.com/documents/15407990_1118_25.pdf

Dave

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just returned home for the weekend. I looked up the RCA DTC-100 direct toll free phone number: 888 901-4388. (I had written it down in my owners manual.)

Dave

[This message has been edited by Budget_HT (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the phone number, Dave. I called RCA and as you say they were very informative and helpful. Unfortunately, they were unable to solve my problem in getting sat 119w. I ruled out the receiver as the problem. Took it to a local Circuit City and hooked it up to their dish. My DTC100 unit received sat 199w with no problems. I have narrowed my problem down to a loose connection in my cable or a problem with my multiswitch. While watching a blank screen on channel 199, a picture suddenly appeared. It lasted for about 5 seconds and just as suddenly disappeared again. That tells me that my dish is aimed properly as I suspected. Now my problem is to find where the "short" is. Anyone out there have any ideas?

------------------

gaz

·
Registered
957 Posts
Have you bypassed the multiswitch yet? Just take one of the 119 in cables at the multiswitch and connect it to the output cable to your DTC-100. A real quick way to rule out or validate a multiswitch problem. If you were receiving a signal fine before, I doubt a cable would be the issue, unless it is moisture related. If you still do not get a signal move the LNB that works from the 101 location on the dish to the 119 and see what happens.

Good Luck

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick, thanks for the suggestion. I have previously switched the LNB from the sat 101 to sat 119 and the LNB for the sat 119 to sat 101. Both LNB's work for 101 but not for 119. I am not clear on by-passing the multi-switch, however. I did unhook one of the lines from the 119 switch (satellite B) and connect it directly to the line leading directly to the receiver. I used a male F connector to connect the two lines. Is that what you mean? If so, I did not get a signal for sat 119 with that by-pass. The fact that I occasionally get a 119 signal indicates to me that there is a "short" in the system. I just wish I could locate where it is.

------------------

gaz

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's how you bypass the multiswitch. I am sure you tried both outputs of the LNB when you bypassed the switch. Next I would throw out the grey cables that came with your dish (if that's what you used). Build new ones using RG6 Quadshield cable and weatherproof connectors from Radio Shack. I have used them with great luck. If that does not work I would borrow a demo DTC-100 from Circuit City to take home and verify that your DTC is not at fault. Are you sure you have a clear line of sight. The time of year your problem started sure sounds like you have a tree causing a problem?

Good Luck on your quest.

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick, I have replaced my cables and used weather proof F connectors from radio shack. There is one step that I want to repeat. It is possible that the F connector I used to bypass the multi-switch was not good. I will repeat this step again using a new F connector. Hopefully, that will solve my problem. As for a clear line of sight, the first thing I did was to cut down a large tree over my wife's vigorous protest. You can imagine her response when that didn't solve the problem http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . So... a clear line of sight is no problem. If I ever solve this problem, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

------------------

gaz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.