AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of backing up my DVD's to HD, and to also make it easier to select and play them.

I have been using Smartripper to rip them, then using IFO edit to strip the streams to the bare-bones movie.

It would save a great deal of time if instead I could use DVD Decrypter, which can do the jobs that Smartripper and IFOedit do in one swoop, and also eliminate some of the "problem" DVDs (eg. SW Ep 1 and 2) that tend to confuse IFOedit.

However, DVD Decrypter does not (as far as I can tell) create the "master" .ifo file - video_ts.ifo. This file is needed for many software players to play the DVD file as a virtual drive. This is a function that I need, as the video_ts.ifo file can associate with Zoomplayer and make starting a DVD a one-click action.

I have combed the DVD Decrypter site, but there seems to be no info regarding this. Is there an easy way to generate the video-ts.ifo file, or did I miss something?

Thanks for any and all help! I know there are many here who use this program, so hopefully there is an easy solution. :)

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
It would save a great deal of time if instead I could use DVD Decrypter, which can do the jobs that Smartripper and IFOedit do in one swoop, and also eliminate some of the "problem" DVDs (eg. SW Ep 1 and 2) that tend to confuse IFOedit.
The easiest and best way (IMHO) is to use SmartRipper and IfoEdit, just like you have been doing. When you try to combine the steps into a single action, you end up with files that may or may not play correctly. By ripping the entire DVD (with either SmartRipper or DVDDecryptor) and then subsequently stripping out the streams and region coding, you maintain the Ifo structure as best as possible and can further manipulate the rip. Oh yeah, and what do you mean by "eliminate some of the "problem" DVDs (eg. SW Ep 1 and 2) that tend to confuse IFOedit"? Different regions should not be a problem when using IfoEdit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How about this...

1. Use DVD Decrypter to choose which streams you want...(stream processing turned on)

2. Then use IFOedit...create IFO button on bottom...that will create what you need. You can then play the DVD, or use another application to shrink it to fit on dvd-r

Pierre

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi,

I have encountered the same problem with Smartripper in movie mode (stream stripping).

Whenever I try to play the movie back, I just get a blank image.

Pierre, I hope your recommendation for for Smartripper also.

Do I create the missing IFO files in same folder where ripped DVD is stored?

thanks

Jose

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You could also use either DVDdecrypter or Smartripper to rip the VOBs you want (main movie) and the ifo and bup files from the original DVD.

The ifo and bup files are too small to make a difference. You end up with a DVD with menus but no extra contents.

The only advantage of using DVDdecrypter over Smartripper in this scenario is that it will remove region protection on the fly.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob - Not many problems, but with the Starwars EP1 and EP2, the ripped files play fine. Then, after using IFOedit to strip the streams, playing the first few chapters off the drive will get you errors. Very strange ones too. On EP2, using Zoomplayer, on Chapter 3 suddenly it bounces back to the opening text scroll, but in Spanish!. Keep it playing, it gets to the same spot but switches to French. While amusing, I am not bilingual. :D. If I skip ahead to Chapter 4, everything plays fine.

WinDVD player goes into an eternal skip, much like an old phonograph record repeating the same passage over and over again.

I have recreated this "mistake" several times. As far as I know, it only affects the two Starwars discs. At least I hope so, as I don't check the backed up HD DVDs from start to finish.

Also - oddly, when playing the ripped (but not stripped) files, I get the "DVD not formatted region" error on Zoomplayer. They play fine on WinDVD though. I have looked through the myriad of settings on Zoomplayer and can't find anything regarding regional DVDs. Did I miss something?

Pierre - Brilliant minds work alike! :D. I woke up this morning with the same idea, and am about to try it.

Alric - I could be wrong, but simply copying the .ifo and .bup files from the DVD will give you inaccurate VOB pointers and chapter information. I think the only way is to create the main .ifo from scratch.

Separate issue - I would like to try doing .iso rips using decrypter, but the daemon tools site seems to have been down for quite awhile now. Have they move their url ( www.daemon-tools.net is the one I have).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use DVD Decrypter for making ISO files, but if you want to strip stuff out of the DVD (menu's, audio streams, etc) I use DVD Shrink, which does most of what DVD Decrypter does, and allows you to remove stuff you dont' want, and you can also compress the video if you want (make it fit on one DVD, etc).

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
Bob - Not many problems, but with the Starwars EP1 and EP2, the ripped files play fine. Then, after using IFOedit to strip the streams, playing the first few chapters off the drive will get you errors. Very strange ones too. On EP2, using Zoomplayer, on Chapter 3 suddenly it bounces back to the opening text scroll, but in Spanish!. Keep it playing, it gets to the same spot but switches to French. While amusing, I am not bilingual. . If I skip ahead to Chapter 4, everything plays fine.
Ok, great! I have both of those discs (Region 1) and will try them both out this afternoon and will get back to you as soon as I figure out what is going on. I've never run into a problem like this, so it should be fun to play detective and try to figure out the puzzle. :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob, let me know what you find. Chapter 3 of EP2 - after the big, noisy transports land is where my "break point" was.

I have taken the stripped VOB files and created a new .ifo using IFOedit. The files play correctly, although I had to manually change the VOB file names from 5 to 1. Only odd thing is the chapter points are way different from the DVD. On my backed up version, there are 75 chapters vs. 51 on the DVD. No big deal for me though, as I don't think I have ever refered to the chapter descriptions.

----

I just used the above technique, DVD Decrypter for stripping and then creating new .ifo using IFOedit, for "Gladiator". Everything worked fine, and the chapters are the same as on the DVD.

Something is very odd about those SW discs. I guess George doesn't want us to back up his moves. :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk

I have taken the stripped VOB files and created a new .ifo using IFOedit. The files play correctly, although I had to manually change the VOB file names from 5 to 1. Only odd thing is the chapter points are way different from the DVD. On my backed up version, there are 75 chapters vs. 51 on the DVD. No big deal for me though, as I don't think I have ever refered to the chapter descriptions.
Here's some info about fixing the chapters with IFOEdit if interested. I've typed it up as a 'how to'.

Problem:

After backing up the movie to your hard drive and then creating new IFO files with IFOEdit, the chapters no longer point to the correct points in the movie, you have excess number of chapters etc...

Cause:

When you create the IFO chapters, it creates a new chapter for each cell. However, in some DVDs there are more than 1 cell per chapter.

How To Fix IFO Chapters

------------------------

Example:

After backing up a 20 chapter movie to your hard drive in a VIDEO_TS folder, saving the original IFO file somewhere else and using IFOEdit to create new IFO files, when you play the movie via the IFO file with WinDVD there are now 50 chapters instead of the original 20.

Required:

1. IFOEdit

2. The original IFO file that was created by DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper when you ripped

3. The IFO files that were created by IFOEdit when you created new IFO files for your VOB files

Steps:

Step 1. Get your original chapter cell information

Open the original VTS_01_0.IFO file (that was created when you ripped) in IFOEdit

Go to VTS_01_0.IFO / VTS Overview / PGC_1 program chain

Write down the original chapter cell numbers

Example

If you see something like:

--------------------------------

[Ch 01] [Cell 01]

......................[Cell 02]

......................[Cell 03]

......................[Cell 04]

: etc...

[Ch 02] [Cell 10]

......................[Cell 11]

[Ch 03] [Cell 12]

:

etc...

this means that chapter 1 starts at cell 1, chapter 2 starts at cell 10, etc.... (I omitted parts of the rows above, like, V/C Id: 2/ 1]

Step 2. Fix your IFO-created VTS_01_0.IFO file

Oen VTS_01_0.IFO that IFO created when you used the Create IFO against the ripped VOB file(s)

Go to VTS_01_0.IFO / VTS_PCCITI / PGC_VTS_1 / PGC Program Map

You'll probably see something like:

Program_1: Entry cell number 1

Program_2: Entry cell number 2

Program_3: Entry cell number 3

:

etc ...

Notice how above, there is a chapter for each cell.

Fix the above rows to reflect desired cell numbers for the chapters.

For above example, doubleclick on the Program_2 row and change the cell number to be 10 and so on.

After

Program_1: Entry cell number 1

Program_2: Entry cell number 10

Program_3: Entry cell number 12

:

etc ...

Change the 'excess' Program number row(s) to have 0 for their cell number.

Go back to your VTS Overview. It should now look something like,

[Ch 01] [Cell 01]

......................[Cell 02]

......................[Cell 03]

......................[Cell 04]

: etc...

[Ch 02] [Cell 10]

......................[Cell 11]

[Ch 03] [Cell 12]

:

etc...

See, now above ch 2 will start at cell 10 and so on.

Save VTS_01_0.IFO

Step 3. Correct your number of chapters

Go to VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMG_PTT_SRP (VIDEO_TS.IFO that was previously created by IFOEdit)

Change the number of chapters (PTTs) to whatever corrected number of chapters you have.

Following my earlier example, you would change this number of chapters from 50 to 20.

Save VIDEO_TS.IFO

Step 4. Wrap up

Get VTS Sectors

Preview and test.

Voila! :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
While your fixing your chapters, you may want to fix subtitle colors as well (unless you've stripped them all out). For instance, after backing up the movie to a VIDEO_TS folder on the hard drive, if I play the movie via the IFO file with WINDVD and turn on subtitle I get a greenish mess. This is easily fixed by copying the original color scheme to the new IFO file.

Step 1 - Get the original color scheme

Open the original VTS_01_0.IFO that was created when you backed up the DVD.

Go to VTS_01_0.IFO / VTS_PCCITI

Menu; Subtitle Color > Copy Colors from this PGC

Step 2 - Modify the color scheme of your newer IFO file

Open VTS_01_0.IFO that IFO created when you used 'Create IFOs' against the ripped VOB file(s)

Go to VTS_01_0.IFO / VTS_PCCITI

Menu; Subtitle Color > Paste Colors into this PGC

Step 3 - Save your change (I always forget this and have to run through this twice)

click Save button, etc...

Test

I go to my VIDEO_TS folder that contains the IFO/VOB files and drag IFO file to my WinDVD screen. The movie starts playing .... I check the chapters (right click screen, select Chapters ...) and I also check subtitles (right click the screen, select subtitles ...); after running through the above 2 procedures you should have the right number of channels, should be able to select and go to desired chapters and subtitles (when on) should be readable.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Sherbona, excellent posts!! I did not know how to recreate the original chapter structure in some of the extreme cases, so this is great information to know, and something I will remember for the fututre. If you don't mind, would you please repost your information in the "Ripping 101" thread, as this is reference material for sure! :)

Now back to the original problem. After ripping Episode 1 to my hard drive, I opened up the main movie IFO (#6) and took a look at the structure. The first thing that popped out at me was the use of 3 different angles in chapters 2 and 3, and after taking a peek at them by using the preview function (double clicking on the cells), I noticed that they were intro credits, apparently done in 3 languages. I also noticed that the main movie used VOB ID's 1, 5, 6 and 7, and either 2 or 3 or 4. When you spot multi angles like this, you want to use just one of them and eliminate the other two, or you foul up the navigation structure, much like dandrewk just found out.

Here's how you deal with it:

Open the main movie IFO and then choose "movie only/strip streams" like usual. Now add a checkmark to the box marked "Strip VobID's" and then set up your destination directory as usual. (***Edit: I forgot an important thing - you must also place a check in the upper right hand corner box marked "Remove Ilvu/Angle point".) Once you hit "ok" you will then be at the usual stream list screen and you simply choose the strems you wish to keep, and then hit "strip it". Instead of starting up, you will now face another screen with a list of VOB ID's, and none of them will be checked by default. In this case, I would recommend checking, 1, 5, 6, and 7, and then I decided to guess at the last one, so I picked 2, as in most cases the English version is kept in the first angle. Now leave all of the other VOB ID's unchecked and hit "strip it" and IfoEdit will do its thing. When you are done, you should have a new set of VOB's with new IFO's created, and all should be well. I say "should" because I am doing this as I write this post, and my computer is so slow that I will have this post completed before I get to test the results, but I feel quite confident that I figured out the problem, or at least for Episode 1. I will report back later to let you know if it worked, as well as what I find in Episode 2, so stay tuned. :)

***Edit: Ok, I fully tested Episode 2 and it worked just fine, and now I am going back to do Episode 1 with my revised instructions above.

·
Registered
227 Posts
DVDshrink combines does the functions of ifoedit and smartripper very nicely. It makes it a one program job. It has worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel

Sherbona, excellent posts!! I did not know how to recreate the original chapter structure in some of the extreme cases, so this is great information to know, and something I will remember for the fututre. If you don't mind, would you please repost your information in the "Ripping 101" thread, as this is reference material for sure! :)
Thank you for the kind words. :) I've added to that thread as suggested.

Just to let you know it was your excellent posts/guide in that thread that got me to even try ifoedit in the first place, so thanks to you for that as well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Alric - I could be wrong, but simply copying the .ifo and .bup files from the DVD will give you inaccurate VOB pointers and chapter information. I think the only way is to create the main .ifo from scratch.
Not if you rip everything and then erase what you don't want.

You need to recreate the IFOs only if you want to get rid of the menus, FBI warning etc.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread is a good example of how useful this forum is.

Thanks guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.