AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 year old Hitachi 51UWX20B. I originally used it with analog cable then it sat for a year unused as I was out of town. I then used it with Voom and now Direct ETV, but have always been extremely disappointed with the DVD quality. The picture has always looked like it is grainy, missing detail, pastelish, especially with actors faces and lips.

I have a Denon 1600 hooked up via component, Duvetyned the cabinet, made a few of the green/red/sharpness ISF adjustments in threads and calibrated the set with DVE with only minimal improvement. The televison was supposed to be good and the Denon is a highly recommended player. I don't understand why the picture is better on many people's uncalibrated sets with crappy DVD players. I think it may be due to the Hitachi rescalling to 540P or 1080i using the poor internal scaler. Would any of these help the DVD picture quality or do I need to buy a new TV?

1) ISF Calibration

There is another post that it did not improve the picture on this set much i.e. even at its best the TV cannot perform

2) Upscalling player or

3) External scaler

I don't think either of these would help as the TV has 7" CRTs and does not provide a true 1080i, so all incoming signals would be rescaled (by the TV) to the CRTs native resolution anyway.

4) Buy a new TV

Would probably help for sure

Any help would be appreciated

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.