AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation. I have a standard old tv. Zenith 28" convex tube, you know the kind (POS). I have been a DirectTV user since its conception and probably will be forever. I live in an extremely rural area so its the best (only) option. I am also a devoted TiVo owner/user. I have the DirectTV TiVo unit. I will be purchasing a new Samsung 50" DLP in the next couple of months and I am extremely excited. When they come out in April I am planning on getting the new DirectTV HD TiVo so I can watch and TiVo High Def.

I was under the misconception that it was impossible to move recorded programs (TiVoed) from TiVo to DVD. Well after reading this board, I have realized that it IS possible to "offload" or "archive" from TiVo.

I have also read that it is as easy as selecting the show from your "Now Showing" list in TiVo and selecting the "Move to VCR" option. (Is this correct?)

So I am seriously looking at a DVD Recorded primarily to record from my TiVo. I am looking at the Pioneer 510H. Would this be a good choice for my current situation? and will this still be usable when I get the new DirectTV HD TiVo unit?

I hope I have made this clear. Thanks for any input and advice...

Warren

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, you will be able record to a DVD recorder over an S-VHS connection. Unfortunately, iLink (Firewire) output will not be available on the upcoming HD DirecTivo. Firewire would have allowed you to make an identical copy without any picture loss.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Say MNBugeater, you might want to hold off until June when the new and improved Samsungs will be released. Have you seen the upcoming LG DLP with integrated HD DVR? Well, that discussion is for another forum.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have considered that also. I have been reading alot about the new ones. If i get the DVD Recorder, that might hold off my urge a little while.

One new toy might be able to tide me over until June...

Thanks

Warren

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
I have the Directivo as well and record all kinds of stuff off it to my Philips DVDR75...Matter of fact I just finished recording Howard Stern's "Private Parts" that was on HBO the other day.

Picture looks great. I recorded it in 2 hour mode and my previous recordings at that speed from Tivo look identical to the original source.

Alfer

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat.

But my question is - why would I have a need for a DVDR with a Hard drive (i.e.; Pioneer 510), when I have a Tivo? Is purchasing a dvdr w/a hard drive the only way I can make easy recordings? Is that the point of the hard drive?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lisa,

I have Directivo and had a Sony RDR-GX7 for a month or so. I really liked the machine but the lack of a hard disk was the primary reason I returned it. Tivo will just dump the whole program onto its own hard disk. I like the ability to start/stop at the right points, cut out commercials, etc and I need a hard disk on the DVD Recorder for that.

I also import my DV material, which is is obviously a more compelling reason for the hard disk.

Anyway, a hard disk still seems very relevant to me, even with Tivo.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.