AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time reader first time poster. I have a rather unique and complicated problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I just bought a Westinghouse 42" LED-LCD (LD-425 Series) and my plan was to use this to replace my old 32" LCD I use as my computer monitor. So here's the deal, I have 2 PC's with 2 different video cards (but both are running WinXP and have the same video card drivers) and 2 LCD TV's (the new Westinghouse and the old LCD). One video card is a 7900GS, the other is a 9800GTX+ both by nvidia, and both cards have 2x DVI-out on them.

Here's a rundown of my trouble shooting so far:

7900GS Card + DVI to VGA + Westinghouse = fine

7900GS Card + DVI to HDMI + Westinghouse = fine

7900GS Card + DVI to VGA + old LCD = fine

7900GS Card + DVI to HDMI + old LCD = fine

9800 Card + DVI to VGA + Westinghouse = fine

9800 Card + DVI to HDMI + Westinghouse = *Problem*

9800 Card + DVI to VGA + old LCD = fine

9800 Card + DVI to HDMI + old LCD = fine

The problem specifically is that I want to display my screen at 1920x1080x60Hz, and when I use my DVI to VGA adapter to the TV's VGA input, the max I can select is 1650xsomething. When I use the DVI to HDMI converter into the TV's HDMI input, I can select 1920x1080 however with the Westinghouse what happens is that the desktop displays fine at 1920x1080, and so does doing little things like opening notepad, etc. But when I try to watch a video (via Youtube, or a .avi file, etc.) or play a PC game, the Westinghouse constantly, every few seconds, says "Detecting Signal" and flickers.

What is so odd about this issue is that 1) its not a problem with the TV *per se* because with the other computer DVI > HDMI works fine with the Westinghouse, displaying 1920x1080 with no problems. 2) But its also not a problem with the 9800 Card *per se* because this card functions just fine using the DVI > VGA adapter with the westinghouse, and additionally works fine using DVI > HDMI with the old LCD (1320x768 max res that TV supports).

So I'm completely stumped, and this is the only place I can turn for help as the manufacturer of my graphics card (BFG Technologies) is now bankrupt and out of business and not honoring lifetime tech support, and a call to Westinghouse customer support showed me within 2 minutes the "tech" working there had no idea what they were doing and was just reading from a scripted response. ("Did you unplug the TV? Did you try rebooting the computer? Have you tried watching a new movie?")

Here's hoping someone can point me in the right directions, thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well, I just downloaded the user manual for the 425 Westinghouse and came across this:

"HDMI input – Picture can be displayed only when a 640 x 480, 480P, 720P or 1080i signal is received. When you connect to the HDMI terminal with a DVI-HDMI conversion cable, there is a possibility that the picture may not display correctly."

I see a couple of potential issues there...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.