AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering through a new Lowes the other day an I came accross an ON-Q Home Theater wiring kit very similar to Monoprice one that a lot of people on the forum use. http://www.legrand.us/OnQ/VideoVoice...102-WH-V1.aspx The only difference is that it doesn't have the electrical plug on the source (bottom) end. So my question is, Is there an easy way to extend the power up to the electrical outlet supplied with the On-Q kit without running back to the breaker box? I was thinking of putting an end on a piece of romex and plugging that it to my HT surge protector on the bottom end and using that to power the outlet up top, but I believe that is against code. Does anyone know of a solution similar to the one supplied with th monoprice kit that I can buy separately? Or any other ideas? Would just order the monoprice kit but I need to finish this up by this weekend for a party, and I already have the On-Q kit. Thanks for any advice.

Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I have been giving this some thought. I can use the power cord connection from an old computer power supply and mount that to a blank plate on the source side. Then connect that to the new outlet up behind my TV with a piece of romex. Same idea as the monoprice version, but it will use a standard PC type power cord to connect from the power source to my new outlet. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Todd

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkubiak /forum/post/19564029

So, I have been giving this some thought. I can use the power cord connection from an old computer power supply and mount that to a blank plate on the source side. Then connect that to the new outlet up behind my TV with a piece of romex. Same idea as the monoprice version, but it will use a standard PC type power cord to connect from the power source to my new outlet. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Todd

Todd...

you have no outlet near the tv? Why not just branch off of it and create a new outlet?

Whats any safer about the setup your proposing then running a power cord between the studs, up the drywall and back out to the tv? Absolutely nothing.

Free hanging "romex" running from what you linked to a home-made port as you described seems like a bad idea. I know quite a few inspectors who wouldn't approve of such a thing if i described it to them.

Also...what makes you think a romex extension cord with an end put on it is any safer then running the sets power wire through the wall?

The truth about this whole thing is if your running the power cord of the tv through the wall with the AV wires, and you are aware its there, so you do not disturb it; and its running through an interior wall between two studs and two pieces of drywall, its actually MUCH SAFER in there then it is on the OUTSIDE of the wall on the floor.

It's only against code because of the materials used. Such a cord is not what should be used when running electrical through your home. People do some crazy things, like hooking up extension cord wiring to there breaker box, or running electrical with cut up extension cords, etc.

But running a televisions power cord behind 4 feet of drywall on an interior wall between studs is not dangerous in anyway whatsoever. But it is against fire code, and so its frowned upon.

Do it right, buy a complete kit or just extend an outlet. I don't know if your familiar with how to wire an outlet, but it almost never needs to be run to the breaker box. If there is an outlet on that wall, it can be branched from the outlet. This is how it is done.

Just buy a the real kit, or install a new outlet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts