AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am more than a little upset at the moment. When I recently ordered the Cox whole home DVR, one of the things I was secifically told by the sales rep was that I could indeed use an external drive with this unit.

I got on the cisco website and found that you need to use esata to connect an exteral drive with it, so I ordered an external drive enclosure that uses esata and an external power source.

When I plugged in the drive, the Cisco 8642HDC did a reboot, but when it reloaded everything and I checked my available space, it was still sitting at 86%, same as before I plugged in the drive.

I called Cox to ask about this and was told that they aren't trained in supporting that and that he didn't think I should need an external drive as the internal 500gb is big enough for me... That set me off haha. For one, being told one thing pre-sale, and then another after it is installed is wrong.

I asked to speak to a superviser and he told me he was a superviser, which I highly doubt.

At this point in about to return the units and ask for a refund on the installation unless I can get this external drive running on it.

Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Do I need to format the drive in a specific way? Do I need to access a hidden menu to activate the drive?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srogue /forum/post/19631329

....Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Do I need to format the drive in a specific way?....

I don't know if it's relevant, but one of my 8300s started to have tiling effects and sound dropouts so the Cox techies suggested I swap out the box. I'd been using an external Maxtor QuickView for about five years without a problem. Upon booting up with the new 8300 I expected to see a message asking me to re-format the drive; instead nothing. I could not get it to recognize the external device.

Then someone on this forum suggested I boot up the 8300 WITHOUT the external attached; then, boot up the external drive to get the "must format" message. It worked. The boot up sequence was the total opposite of the normal procedure, but it enabled me to format the external drive and then triple my capacity.

Maybe you could try that with the 8642?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd really be interested in seeing any follow-ups in this thread. My SA8300HD bit the big one, and I'm thinking about replacing it with an 8642HDC, but eSATA compatibility is critical. I can't believe they actually tried to use a "500 GB should be enough for anybody" justification!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had four different Cox/Sunshine techies to my house in the last three weeks and it's amazing to me how little (i.e. nothing) they know about the eSATA port. One particularly unpleasant techie bad-mouthed the use of an external drive, but later in the conversation said he'd only seen two HDD installations in his two years of service!

I've read all kinds of differing reports on this site regarding its use with a multi-room setup. One stated that eSATA will work with the 8642HDC base unit, but that some recordings can't be viewed on the client boxes in other rooms. I'm guessing that this is probably correct as the base unit itself decides whether to record a program on the internal or external drive depending on how much space is left; the clients would have no way of knowing where recordings are placed. So it's akin to booting up with the external drive detached; you can still see all the recordings listed, but can't play all of them on the primary TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts