AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some help in making a final projector choice. Based on lots of viewing I think my preference is for a sharp and bright picture. I've narrowed it down to these choices.

Some background. I have a dedicated movie room that is mostly light controlled, not bat cave, but pretty good. However, for sports/HDTV viewing we usually have a light on in the back of the room. I'm using a CIH/scope type setup where the screen is 105"x44" in 2.35 and 79x44" in 16:9 (not too large). There is only one row of seating (couch) about 180" away. The screen is a weave material that is supposed to be 1.2 gain (Seymour AV), but also has loss due to the holes in it.

The choices:

1) Sim2 C3XE with Schnider lens - 3 chip unit. very good light. only 720p. full panel resolution used on scope because of the Schnider anamorphic lens.

2) Sim2 HT3000E - single .95 DC3 chip unit. good light for single chip. 1080p unit. Zoom method used for scope so not full panel (817x1920)

3) Vivitek 5080 with Lumagen XS and Schnider lens - single .65 chip unit. Excellent external processor. 1080p. full panel res used in scope.

I've seen all the projectors mentioned along with others (RS60, Q750i etc.) but all in different setups between friends and dealers. I know I like the three setups above, but am trying to figure out which would be the best in my system. The are all about the same price, not exactly, but within reason.

What would you choose if you had this decision and why?

·
Blues In Thirds
2,522 Posts
As a Sim2 fan all I'll say is that if you're going to go with a C3X, I'd go with the 1080. If you need to save some bucks then go with the HT3000E. Basically, you can't go wrong with either. Having said all that, if you're just stuck on a C3X 720p you'll probably be able to purchase a used one for a pretty good price. I for one will be real curious as to what you choose, especially if the C3X 720p wins out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the C3X 1080 would be ideal, but it's too far outside my price range. Even the used units sell for more than what any of these setups cost.

The HT3000E has the sharpest/cleanest picture of the group, whereas the C3X I would describe as deep and rich. With the C3X I could also get the anamorphic lens in my budget. Which is a very convenient and fun feature, instead of zooming the projector. To be honest, I'm not sure I see the difference between zooming the 1080 unit versus having the lens in place on the 720 unit.

The Vivitek plus Lumagen and lens is also very competitive. The biggest problem with it are the blacks. They just don't seem to be as deep or rich as the other two units. It does put all 1080 lines on the screen in scope mode due to the lens. However, it's the same thing here, I'm not sure I can really tell the difference between the zoomed image and the anamorphic lens image.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In reading old posts, there was a split decision between the C3Xe and the HT3000e. Some people liked the three chip unit and other preferred the resolution advantage. At least that was the case in 2007, not sure if it still holds in 2011.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.