AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick questions for all the experts as I am so/so on my AV knowledge...

I am having my basement finished and will have approximately a 650 sq/ft area in which I am placing a pool table on one end, and a theater setup on the other. My speaker setup is as follows:

There will be two speakers mounted in the ceiling to provide music while down there playing pool, drinking a cold one, etc.

On the left side of the room I am planning on hanging a HDTV and putting a left and right channel speaker on that wall as well for when I am watching TV, a movie, etc. I think I need a receiver with something known as "dual zones" so that I can watch TV with only the wall speakers on and/or listen to music with only the ceiling speakers on. I also would like the capability to watch TV with all four speakers on or just run music through all 4 speakers.

I already have all the speaker wire run to these locations so changing the setup now (since drywall is complete) is out of the question. I am not a huge AV guy so I just went with something simple and easy.

Some other questions I have...

Speaker recommendations (need 4 in-wall/ceiling speakers)?

Do I need a subwoofer?

Receiver recommendations?

TV Recommendation?

Any other recommendations (I am thinking about finally buying a blu-ray player)?

My budget for everything is going to be around $3,000. Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
635 Posts
The main issue here, and why you may not have received any replies yet, is you have sort of pigeon-holed yourself into a certain setup, before asking questions. This makes our job pretty tough.

My recommendation - take some of that $3,000 budget and maybe get it wired right, if you want any kind of resemblance of a "theater setup" as you said. At a VERY minimum, you should be thinking Left, Right and Center, with a sub, for your flat panel.

A dual zone receiver shouldn't be difficult to find, but finding a dual zone receiver that can send different sources to each may be tough on a budget. This will eat into a good portion of that $3,000. If you don't need to send different sources to each, then just about any receiver on the market has A/B channels. You could do that or get a speaker selector box and just select them manually that way.

I'm reading down your post and see you are asking for TV recommendations, and I'm realizing the 3K budget probably needs to include this. My final recommendation is to get a list of everything you need, shop the prices, and see where you need to make cuts.

Combine a Sam's Club or Costco flat panel, with some off the shelf in-wall/in-ceiling speakers from Best Buy, an entry level 5.1 receiver, a center channel, a sub, bluray player, along with signal cables, flat panel mount...and we are getting pretty close to your budget.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_TRobertson /forum/post/16857251

Quick questions for all the experts as I am so/so on my AV knowledge...

I think I need a receiver with something known as "dual zones" so that I can watch TV with only the wall speakers on and/or listen to music with only the ceiling speakers on. I also would like the capability to watch TV with all four speakers on or just run music through all 4 speakers.

Dual Zone means you can listen to 2 different sources at the same time. In other words you can listen to a cd thru 2 speakers while at the same time listen to a tv thru different speaker. Since you have all of your speakers in the same room I could see a battle of the volume going on if you have music playing at the same time as the tv. Unless your speakers are far enough apart. I spent around $500 for a Denon 2805 that has dual zone. I can watch tv or listen to a cd in my bar/theater while my wife listens to the radio in her fitness room, all at the same time thru one receiver, with volume control for each room. What are the dimensions of the room and how far apart are the speakers? If you will never be listening to two different sources (cd, radio, tv) at the same time in your room you do not need dual zone. You can connect your wall speakers to channel A and the ceiling speakers to channel B of your receiver. This way you can choose to listen to either channel or both channels at the same time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seems like an odd setup and also sounds like you should have got a little of this advice before you ran speaker wire and then drywalled...especially since you say you aren't an AV inclined guy. FYI you can still run speaker wire to different locations after drywall. IE hide it behind molding...but it sounds like you really don't want to make any changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installing speakers and/or a sub on the main wall (where the TV will be mounted) will not be difficult and I am not opposed to that. In fact, I planned on putting a standing floor sub-woofer down there eventually but wasn't sure if it was recommended because of it being a basement. At the minimum I wanted a speaker to the left and right of the TV (since TV speakers usually blow) and had the contractor wire those in accordingly. Then, I decided I wanted to have two in-ceiling speakers installed for music while playing pool and hanging out down there without the TV on. Now I guess (based on your recommendations) I need to have a center channel also. This would give me a 3.1 channel setup correct (left, center, right and a sub)?

I am really looking for a good recomendation on speakers (looking to spend maybe around $100/speaker) to put in the wall/ceiling. Is buying the speakers Best Buy offers (forgot the brand) the best way to go or should I order something different from online?

Oviously I am not looking to set any records with this setup, just want something nice to watch movies on and increase the selling point of my condo. Watching Blu-Ray's on a nice 1080P 52" TV with a 3.1 setup would make me plenty happy (for now).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.