AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got touched by the HT bug about a year ago and after a good bit of research and not a huge budget i went with a 16x9 DIY BoC screen and a Optoma Hd65 + 5.1 SS. My inputs are a x-box360 (games only) a PC that I stream movies from every so often and a PS3 for Bluray and up converted DVD's

Since I am always looking for new ways to improve and go bigger/better I have kept reading and exploring AVS Forum and after seeing the epic-ness of a 2.35 picture and always having been a person who wants to keep the OAR on movies (yes i know that an HD65 has the "superwide" feature but I really hate cutting off any part of the picture) Ive decided to see what i would need to add to my currect equipment to get myself to a 2.35 CIH setup using a Horizontal Stretch Lens. (I really hope I said that last part correctly

Trying to piece all the information together from the FAQ's, this is where I'm at:

Currently my 16x9 screen is 94"-wide 53"tall and 108"-Diag

My Throw is 12" 3' and my HD65's at 1.09 of its 1.1 zoom,

If i am calculating this right my TR is 147 / 94 = 1.56

The HD65 can do the vertical strech but from what I have been looking at (HTB, AM MK3, Panamorphic) it seems like i really need a TR of 1.7 or better so i am not sure how to proceed from here. If I really play with the screen size / Throw distance I can get to a 1.7TR but that still seems on the low side from what I am reading.

The room I am using is a lot longer then it is wide, (I do not have the numbers on me as I am not at home) but the only problem is from about 12'6" to about probably 17 feet deep in the room there is an I-beam + duct work that prevents me from mounting the projector. So i have to hang the projector in front of or in back of the duct work.

What I was trying to do is because the HD65 can do the vertical stretching I wanted to pick up a good lens and be able to start my 2.35 setup then eventually move up to a better 1080p projector.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right / next direction. Please tell me if I need to provide any other information or if I am not thinking of something. The room is very light controlled, it is the basement so there are only two small window well's that i have curtains on. This projector is 90% movie watching which is one of the reason that I would like to move to a 2.35 setup.

Any and all advice is appreciated, even if all you can tell me is that at this time my setup isn't going to work for it.

And just for clarity I am trying to figure out what lens i can use with my current equipment, the huge post above didn't make that clear enough.

If I am forgetting anything please let me know.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
If you can move the projector back to extend the TR, you will have a better end result. This is the case for ALL anamorphic lenes as the longer the TR, the narrower the beams, the less pincusion and other abberations.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Longer is better but not the end of the world. Not like it will not work just have some extra distortion from the lens bending the image. Most will be easily zoomed off into the border of the screen and never noticed during a movie.

nate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess what I was/am really worried about is making sure that the beam inst two wide and bounces off the sides on the lens. There is a technical term that I don't know off the top of my head, something with a V that I was reading about. Anyway making sure that doesn't happen is what i thought measuring the TR was about. Which no matter how far back i go, I am going to be able to get a Max of 1.7 TR if I am calulating it right (Throw distance \\ width of 16x9 screen size) all in inches.

So with a Max of 1.7TR what lens would be recommended?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin28x /forum/post/16941791

There is a technical term that I don't know off the top of my head, something with a V that I was reading about.

The term you refer to is called 'Vignetting'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts