AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello and first I want to say there are a lot of really good info here.

I am limited on where to go to buy stereo equipment, so I went to a Best Buy Magnolia Store.

I have a Denon AVR788 for my receiver.  I like to watch movies but can't too loud because of you know who!!

I also like to listen to music all kinds.  Vocals, instrumental, classic rock, country, jazz.  Just depends on the day.  Again I don't listen full blast just below the point it is noticable on the front porch when you walk up to the house.

I have listened to Martin Logan 40's and B & W CM9's   at first I liked the ML's for 5.1 use only to find out the binding posts were missing from the B & W's.  That fixed I liked the B & W's for vocal quality in music but still liked the ML's for movies.

I do not know where to go to listen to Paradigm Studio 60's or Ascend Sierra Towers.

As many have said at least what I have gathered is both of these speakers will perform much better than the first two original choices.

I want a set of speakers to do 5.1 movies and have a really good ear for picking up footsteps, chain link fence rattling and other things in the background that some of my family do not pick up on or appreciate.  They say oh okay..  Sometimes it is a prelude to what is coming around the corner.  Anyway just about anything will do better than what I have which is an old Bose Lifestyle 9.

What I am critical of is the 2.1 music side of it.  Like I said I don't really like my music loud, just average listening levels but really clear and not fatiquing.  I like to hear the cough in the background of a track that slipped through or the deep breath before a chorus, fingers sliding down the frets.  All that was laid down on a track.

So with that said,,,  Should I take the plunge to either of the latter speakers and if so what is your opinion of the better of the two.

Thanks in advance and I hope I wasn't too vague.  I know a lot of you out there are way more into this than I am, however I am about to be created in to a monster.. Ha Ha..

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Whats your budget? $2,000 for just 2.0 setup?

You will not find the Ascend Sierra Towers in a audio store anywhere, they are an internet direct company so they have no retailer middle men to jack their prices up. HOWEVER Acsend Acoustics offers a 30day Money Back Guarantee allowing you to demo the speakers in your own home

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you for the replies.  I did find a place to listen to the paridigms and the monitors.  I then went back and listened to the martin logans and the b&w's and choose the b&w cm9's.  I listened to all type of music for two hours including def tech and was the happiest with the B&W's.  Thanks again for all of your help.  You are all correct, it is to a point a matter of personal preference.  However I did not care for the sound on the Monitor's at all.  Martin Logan has a really sweet deal going in now thru march 5 when you buy a set of towers and a sub you get a free center and two rears.  I really, really want to like the martins.

I did find out one huge thing when shopping for speakers.  It makes a huge difference on the receiver that is being used, the method of input ( thumb drive, phone streaming pandora and cd.)  Phone streaming was the least optimal with thumb drive second and cd the best. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts