Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've got a 43" Pioneer PDP-4345HD that I've mounted above my fireplace on a stucco wall onto wood studs. Id like to run the media cables through the wall and into my media receiver which sits to the left of the wall in a bookshelf. Can someone give me an idea of how I could do this? I am fairly competent with tools, and would prefer to do it myself instead of hiring someone to do it. What do I have to watch out for? Is it as simple as drilling a couple of holes and threading the cables through? Should I worry about the cables being near the heat of the fireplace? Any advice would be appreciated. Here's a image of my TV setup.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcon10/IMG_2411.jpg

Thanks,

jcon

·
Registered
314 Posts
You will need to drill holes in the drywall right next to each stud, then side drill holes in the studs with enough diameter to get your cables through. Once you get around the corner, you should be able to drop down into the shelving. Obviously you will need to patch and paint.

Be careful with the TV's power cable. I'm fairly sure in Minnesota running a power cable behind drywall is a code violation. The electrical outlet for the TV should be behind the TV and installed by a certified electrician.

As an alternative, Home Depot (and others I'm sure) sell plastic wire tracks that can be painted. Done properly, the results can be very inconspicuous.

·
Registered
270 Posts
is there a way to disassemble the mantle? that would save you the hassle of drilling through studs.

i installed above a fireplace as well but unfortunately the whole front of it is brick, so i went with the cable track route. worked out pretty good, just need to paint it now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. There's no way to disassemble the mantle. Even so, you'd still be able to see the cables going down into the mantle. I'm looking for a completely invisible solution, but will look into the plastic wire tracks idea.

RickGr4: Why would I need to have the electrical outlet behind the TV? Couldn't I use the same one I'm using right now, which is next the media receiver? Also, how would I drill side holes in the studs? That sounds like I would have to tear open the whole wall!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcon
RickGr4: Why would I need to have the electrical outlet behind the TV? Couldn't I use the same one I'm using right now, which is next the media receiver? Also, how would I drill side holes in the studs? That sounds like I would have to tear open the whole wall!
You need an electrical outlet behind the TV so you can hide your TV power cord. If you use the same one you are using now then you would have to run the TV power cord through the wall, which is probably a violation of code. Either that or leave the TV power cord visible as it is now. You will have to look into your local electrical codes to see if it would indeed be a violation.

Regarding drilling side holes in the studs. Others who have more experience can chime in, but you are correct. It will require alot of cutting and patching to accomplish this. Unfortunately I believe it is the price you must pay to truly hide your wires.

·
Vendor
31,362 Posts
Not knowing what is behind the wall EXACTLY, if you do not want to see the cord going to the Media center you will have to cut a small, probably 1/2 inch slot from the plasma to behind the media center in the drywall. Put the cable in then patch over. That is the easiest way. Realise in almost all situations wires cannot be "fished" sideways through studs without cutting a wall out.

Seeing if you want to be within code you might want to see what your electrician thinks. If you want an outlet behind your tv he will probably have to do some wall tear out also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of drilling side holes through the studs for the cables to fish through, I was hoping to simply let the cables to go straight from the entry hole to the exit hole. What would be wrong with this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
jcon, You need to pass thru the studs to get from your point A (entry) to point B exit. It's not just an empty wall behind that sheetrock.

My guess is there is at least two studs making up the corner right where you currently have the wires held in place.

There also has to be at least 1 stud 16" from that same corner in the direction of the plasma.

What about cutting into the drywall where the wires exit the plasma,dropping them down behind the sheet rock and exiting to the top of the mantle,with a sharp chisel make yourself a "track" wide enough to handle the wires. If your neat enough you might be able to replace this piece and touch it up when finished.

Use the back side of the mantle to hide the wires as the come down the back end and then you could try to do the same thing as above. Cut into the wall snake the wires thru to meet your hole you made thru the side of the bookcase.

Potential problem here is, where is the stud located on the side of the wall leading to the book case.

drilling a hole sideways thru a stud ,even with a right angle bit is going to be a tough job even for a skilled carpenter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A lot of the houses built in PA would have a dead space behind where you have your TV mounted. Depending on what type of fireplace you have there is a concern with heat since you probably have a vent pipe running through the dead space. You should be able to cut a decent size hole behind the TV to see what is back there and possibly be able to strap the wires so they do not come in contact with the vent for the fireplace. It would be a good idea to research what minimum clearances must be kept from your brand fireplace. As Rick said the proper way to handle the electric for the TV is to add an outlet behind the TV.

If you do cut the wall open you might want to consider putting a conduit in so you can put new wires in later and it would be much easier. Do not run the electrical wire through the fish conduit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
drill hole between studs behind tv. final hole should be right where you have it drawn. get yourself a fish tape and route the wires through the hole behind tv down to the other hole. put a flashlight pointing into the hole where u have it circled so you can see it through the other hole. its open back there. also get a stud finder. i would route all the wires including power cord through there. if and only if you going to sell or move out, i would then remove the power cord. its only a prob if trying to sell house. piece of cake. novice type **** :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a low voltage electrician specializing in AV installs, and running a power cord into or behind drywall is a definite violation of the national electrical code. Regular power cords are not rated to go there, which is why Romex is used everywhere inside residential walls.

It won't cost you much to have an electrician (high voltage) put an outlet behind your plasma, and it would probably add value to your house.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you want to read, the NEC section that prohibits running the power cord in the wall, or inside a conduit , is 400-8. Also, 725-52 prohibits running the power in the same conduit as the signal cables.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Didn't know about the need to install an outlet right behind the plasma tv. No one ever mentioned that in the Room Construction Forums when I was designing the room from scratch. I guess it shouldn't be too hard for the electrician to do it as there is attic access above.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well you are on an outside wall...you could always drill straight back from the tv, run the cables along the outside wall...hidden against the bottom of the house, or if there is an overhang on the outside right under that, and then run it back into the house right behind the components. You can use all-weather connectors, silicone it all up and it will be sealed tight.

Just have to make sure it's in a dry area of the outside...and the cables might not last as long as they would being inside.

Does it meet code? Couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've done this many times and I think the best way would be to remove the mantel. It will come off and is usually easier to repaint/repair any damage to it than to the sheetrock. It is very difficult to repair sheetrock without it being obvious, unless you do the whole area. By cutting a small hole behind the set and running the wires down to the area behind the mantle. you should be able to do this without cutting any large holes or drilling thru studs. Then over to the bookcase and it would not leave any visable damage. The mantle is almost certainly held to the wall or fireplace frame with nails. Use a magnetic nail finder and remove them and pull the mantel away from the fireplace and wall. The holes in the mantel and paint damage can be repaired rather easily. It would be much easier to repaint the whole mantle than deal with the sheetrock, IMHO. A short run of Romex from the bookcase to the back of the set using the same route should complete the project. Using a "Clock outlet" behind the set will allow a closer fit to the wall and gives a more finished installation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.