AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm having difficulty getting the mechanical focus set on my NEC projector. If I set mechanical focus so that the center is sharp then the edges are blurry (kind of a fish eye effect), and vice versa.

I read Guy Kuo's article and focus and it mentions two mechanical focus adjustments (edge and center). The only focus I have found is by loosening the two wingnuts and rotating the plastic part around the front of the CRT.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
move the Rear wingnut to obtain the center focus. Once complete, tighten that wingnut, (not too tight) and move the forward wingnut to obtain edge focus. They move independantly of each other.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it looks awesome now. Yay for CRT.

I had some professional help setting up the projector the first time and I recently moved so now I'm figuring it out for myself.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Try to get your hands on an Installation manual or a service manual for your projector (I think the service manual includes an installation manual under normal circumstances). It will be an invaluable resource. They may be available free online, its been years since I looked, if not, you can download good pdf copies from www.freebrd.com for a very reasonable cost considering the hassle involved in scanning such documents.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the same problem (maybe not mechanical, now that I´m thinking of it)! But I can´t seem to get an acceptable overall focus no matter what I do. The compromise is blury or dim. I can get focus either in the middle or in the edges.

What parameters affect focus? Can it be astigmatism that is wrong?

·
Registered
552 Posts
How to get it right.

Just follow Guy Kuo sticky post at the header of this forum

called "Yikes Holy Focus"there is NO better post than this on the subject.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pwentz3l
move the Rear wingnut to obtain the center focus. Once complete, tighten that wingnut, (not too tight) and move the forward wingnut to obtain edge focus. They move independantly of each other.
Oh dear, I just learned something this morning. Seriously, I had no idea. I chalk this ignorance up to being a user. Its one instance where my DIY-genes have been kept at bay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.