AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with a problem I've recently noticed on my G15 (enough has changed since I've taken a good look that I'm not sure when this problem started, though I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been this way...)

Anyway, I am getting "shadows" or "ghosts" on vertical edges (kind of like edge enhancement, about 3-4 pixels wide). It doesn't appear to be the cables (I've switched a few times) or the input on the G15 (tried computer 1, computer 2, and component). Also, taking the Rock+ out of the equation doesn't matter.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

- Marc

p.s. My DVD is a Denon 3300.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/ho.jpg

[This message has been edited by mblank (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mark,

I have the same ghosting problem.

I also checked different cables, all inputs, with and without Rock and I have the "ghosting" problem.

I did a search in this forum about this problem and I found three people with the same situation,

One of them send me a private e-mail tell me that it was problem with Heat.

I have my G11 in the whisperflow and I tried with the projector out of the hushbox.

It is still having the ghosting problem.

I contacted other user from the forum he told me that after some time the ghosting disappeared.

I contacted JVC and they told me that maybe is a delay problem in the DDCI board.

I am thinking to send them the projector for review.

I hate that, but maybe it is the only solution

He told me that there is a parameter in the JVC software to change this problem in the DDCIA menu.

I don't have that software.

I contacted Mark Hunter to know if we can control this problem with Dilard and here I attach his answer:

Mark answer:

Excellent work! I have had a couple of people mention this “ghosting†and have been wondering what it could be. In fact, I am reseeding a graphic that I received that illustrates the issue. You will see a faint image, offset to the left exactly 8 pixels.

I’m not sure what the “D Delay Option†is in the DDIC menu, but I will take a look at that. Hopefully, we can solve this and it won’t require a service call.

Unfortunately, it may be as late as this weekend before I can take a look. I am pretty deep down in some code at the moment that I need to deliver on Thursday.

Thanks, Jose! Take a look at the attached graphic, and let me know if that is what it looks like

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/ghosting1.jpg

I don't have a solution yet.

Jose Valls

[This message has been edited by jvalls (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, Jose. When did Mark H. send you that reply (i.e. is this "old" news or something new - over the past few days.)

Mark H. - If you're reading this, thanks for looking at it. Do you have contacts within JVC who you might ask about this?

- Marc

·
Registered
70 Posts
he sent me that message on July 7, 01.

I guess he has been very busy with the new 2.2 Dilard and Colorfacts.

So most probably I will not wait any longer and I will send for service to JVC.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Your picture and mine are similar, but quite different. Among other things, your ghost image is only on one side (rather than both), and is much farther away from the original image. Probably different manifestations of a similar issue - whatever it is...!

Other Gxx owners - Have you ever seen this?

- Marc

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
YES! absolutely. Have a look at http://members.home.net/andy.kromkanp/ghost.jpg (Warning, large image).

I have the same problem, but the ghost is on the *right* side. For the longest time, I could only ever see it on the internal menus, but now I can sometimes see it on a Windows desktop, but never watching movies.

I cant remember what JVC told me but they definitely passed the buck. If its as simple as a service adjustment I would love to be able to fix it up.

Andy K.

------------------

"L T One-Fifty

Did your light guide the wisemen,

to baby Jesus?"

·
Registered
70 Posts
I see the ghosting with the internal menus, AVIA , movies and internal test patterns from Rock but usually only with a bright background.

Not with a dark background.

If I see the edge of a person in an movie I can clearly see a double shape.

JVC told me that It is very easy to resolve from the JVC service menu, If we convince Mark Hunter to implement this in Dilard we will not need to send for service.

[This message has been edited by jvalls (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
There is a new option in the 2.2 Pixel Alignment Wizard that fixes Jose's problem. It's called "Delay" and addresses left and right ghosting (if present).

However, Marc Blank, I don't think this is what you are seeing...your ghost is on *both* sides.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi, Mark. Very, very peculiar. It would be interesting to see the result of using the new alignment wizard in any event....

- Marc

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mark, (milori)

Would the pixel alignment wizard address the problem shown in Andy Krompkamp's image? Specifically, it shows the green coloration just to the right and above the white image, and magenta just to the left and below.

At first, I thought this was a simple convergence problem, but the errant colors are reversed on the other side of the screen. Seems more like some kind of overshoot/undershoot of the signal driving each panel. OK. I'm talking over my head here.

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi JHill,

Andy's ghost appears to be the same thing that this "delay" adjustment fixes. At least, I can make the same problem by adjusting the "delay" badly. It's simply a slider control in the Wizard.

However, sub-pixel misconvergence can't be corrected. You should never have worse then 1/2 pixel alignment, but there are no adjustments granular enough to affect the alignment any finer.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Regarding the green and magenta fringing in my image, this is a result of less than precise aligment of the 3 color chips, and cannot be corrected any better than that with DILARD (I tried all 1-pixel shifts and that was the best one).

The good news is that I never, ever see it when sitting my usual 14 feet back from a 9' wide image. The ghosting is more noticable.

Mark, thats great news about 2.2! Thanks again!

Andy K.

------------------

"L T One-Fifty

Did your light guide the wisemen,

to baby Jesus?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.