AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m having a problem getting my PS3 to detect my Sony TV as a 3D device. The Sony TV and PS3 are new (as of Dec 4th, 2010). My home system is setup so that everything is HDMI In/Out running thru my Harman Kardon receiver (purchased May 2009) as the primary controlling HDMI Input/Output unit. When I turn 3D ON in my TV I have three modes of 3D “side by side”, “Over Under”, and “Simulated” – not really sure what mode to pick (but in my case none of the modes made any difference) – TV still isn’t getting detected by the PS3.

My Equipment:
AVR: Harman Kardon Model: AVR 354 (firmware update 5/2010 to AFW v0.98.3.1)
PS3: Sony - PlayStation 3 (160GB) Model: 98418
TV: Sony - BRAVIA / 55" Class / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D LED-LCD HDTV Model:KDL-55HX800

My hunch of the problem of 3D TV detection lies in my Harman Kardon AVR 354. Harman Kardon say they support HDMI 1.3 for the AVR-354. The more recent Harman Kardon models support HDMI 1.4a 3D. So I’m thinking I’m just out of luck trying to get 3D to work thru my Harman Kardon AVR 354 – can anyone tell me if I NEED HDMI 1.4a for 3D TV (as in required). Also, are there any physical HDMI cable difference across the various releases of HDMI 1.x specification?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robains /forum/post/19641057

Hi All,

I'm having a problem getting my PS3 to detect my Sony TV as a 3D device. The Sony TV and PS3 are new (as of Dec 4th, 2010). My home system is setup so that everything is HDMI In/Out running thru my Harman Kardon receiver (purchased May 2009) as the primary controlling HDMI Input/Output unit. When I turn 3D ON in my TV I have three modes of 3D side by side, Over Under, and Simulated - not really sure what mode to pick (but in my case none of the modes made any difference) - TV still isn't getting detected by the PS3.

My Equipment:
AVR: Harman Kardon Model: AVR 354 (firmware update 5/2010 to AFW v0.98.3.1)
PS3: Sony - PlayStation 3 (160GB) Model: 98418
TV: Sony - BRAVIA / 55" Class / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D LED-LCD HDTV Model:KDL-55HX800

My hunch of the problem of 3D TV detection lies in my Harman Kardon AVR 354. Harman Kardon say they support HDMI 1.3 for the AVR-354. The more recent Harman Kardon models support HDMI 1.4a 3D. So I'm thinking I'm just out of luck trying to get 3D to work thru my Harman Kardon AVR 354 - can anyone tell me if I NEED HDMI 1.4a for 3D TV (as in required). Also, are there any physical HDMI cable difference across the various releases of HDMI 1.x specification?

Thanks,

Rob

Your hunch is correct. Your AVR is most likely the culprit. Try bypassing it and connecting straight to the TV. As far as cables, any HDMI high speed cable will work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the confirmation. So what I need to look for in a new AVR is support for HDMI 1.4a specification? Or do HDMI direct to TV and run optical out to my existing AVR.

I prefer using an AVR as central source ... is there a current list of AVR's that support HDMI 1.4a specification?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robains /forum/post/19641195

Thank you for the confirmation. So what I need to look for in a new AVR is support for HDMI 1.4a specification? Or do HDMI direct to TV and run optical out to my existing AVR.

I prefer using an AVR as central source ... is there a current list of AVR's that support HDMI 1.4a specification?

Thanks, Rob.

The AVR must specifically state that it is 3D capable. And yes, in the meantime, run HDMI direct to TV and run optical out to your existing AVR.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Any AVR that will pass through everything will pass though will pass through all HDMI 1.4a 3D content it just will not extract the audio from a HMDI 1.4a double packed buffer from a 3D Blu-ray disk player. Only a HDMI 1.4 AVR can do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah found a few AVR that specifically state support for 3D pass thru -- which I'm assuming means "unprocessed" (other than simple switching) HDMI signal.

Now I need to figure out if 3D pass thru applies ONLY to specific input or if it applies all input as "pass thru" (i.e. no scaling output from 480p to 1080p). Found a pretty good deal on a Pioneer VSX-1120 for $500 new (seemed to get good reviews).

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19642128

Any AVR that will pass through everything will pass though will pass through all HDMI 1.4a 3D content it just will not extract the audio from a HMDI 1.4a double packed buffer from a 3D Blu-ray disk player. Only a HDMI 1.4 AVR can do that.

Oh thank you, yes that is a VERY important consideration. The Pioneer I listed above does have HDMI 1.4a

Rob.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I bought an Intgra 1.4 AVR to pass the 3D from all my sources but it did not solve all my problems. PS3 and Xbox work fine but FIOS(TV) would not do the proper handshake and I had to use a switch and bypass the AVR for FIOS and use optical cable for sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might also be having a problem with your HDMI cable...as I've learned that not all HDMI cable are equal- standard HDMI is only rated at 10.2 Gbps transfer & for 3D you're suppose to use a 17.8 Gbps "ultimate high speed" HDMI cable.

Thanks for pointing out the "pass-through" problem with a Harman Kardon AVR-354... I was almost gonna buy a model- 254 or 260 tomorrow. Guess, I'll pass on that $600.00 "Deal".. and do more research myself! I just bought a 3D Samsung.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the nx810 with a Bose G2 cinimate and was having the side-by-side issue with the 3D on an XBox Black Ops. Got it resolved by going into "options" and selecting Speakers option, changed the setting from TV to audio system.

The TV is awesome by the way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts