AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hooked up dish network to my sony gw3. It is hooked up to the video 5 input. I cannot view non - HD channels in the stretched full screen mode or even in any of the zoom modes. When I try to change the setting, it does nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Input 5 is one of the component video input jacks correct? I had a GW3 for about a month, but now it lives in repair labs, but I didn't have any trouble at all with the zoom modes. Are you clicking the "Wide" button at the top of the remote under the "-- MODE --" label? That's the button that toggles between the various stretch modes. I've never experienced a problem with that feature. (I've used the other composite videos but haven't ever used the DVI input) What happens when you try to change the mode, does the picture disappear? Does the OSD appear to tell you the new mode? Does it literally do absolutely nothing?

Have you tried the other inputs or another output device to try and pinpoint the problem? This set has a lot features (I wish turning on was one of them) so It might be possible that a specific input can be locked into a specific mode and cannot be changed with the remote.

If you do have a problem that requires getting the set repaired, you might want to wait a few weeks so that the current flood of sets with defective powering functionality is repaired or you might be without the TV for a long time while the other sets get repaired. I'm on day 13 without my set and was told I wouldn't get an update on my status for at least another 2 days so if this is a problem that you can live with in the short term I'd wait a month before getting it repaired.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I might be able to help since I just went thru this with my cable HD connection, couldn't stretch or do anything with the picture on regular tv stations and non-HD presentations appear as a box in the centre of the tv?

Anyway, it's almost certainlty your HD converter box and not the tv. I don't have Satellite so don't know whatcha got but I had and have a SA3100 (Scientific Atlanta model 3100) and it outputs channels at a 1080i scanrate and can't be strecthed. They have newer models that I hope to attain this year when they get to my local cable provider. In the meantime I'm hooked up a secondary S-Video connection that allows me to stretch etc so I switch to another video source when I want to do that with regular tv.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always been able to toggle the screen using the wide button, now does not change anything on non-hd channels with the dish network setup

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
If you send the GWIII a 720p or 1080i signal, the television set locks into "FULL" mode, which means that the HD signal is used to fill the screen and cannot be zoomed or stretched. While you can normally zoom on a 480i or 480p signal, this will not be possible with a true HD signal.

You need to use the stretch modes built into the Dish Network receiver if you want to stretch 4:3 content to fill the 16:9 viewing area. On the Dish Network 921, you can just use the "*" key on the remote to switch between stretch modes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slordak
If you send the GWIII a 720p or 1080i signal, the television set locks into "FULL" mode, which means that the HD signal is used to fill the screen and cannot be zoomed or stretched. While you can normally zoom on a 480i or 480p signal, this will not be possible with a true HD signal.

You need to use the stretch modes built into the Dish Network receiver if you want to stretch 4:3 content to fill the 16:9 viewing area. On the Dish Network 921, you can just use the "*" key on the remote to switch between stretch modes.
You beat me to the punch. That is correct. A signal input above 480i can not be zoomed by the TV. My 811 changes it with the *.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.