AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of buying a house that has a space (garage) that we are wanting to convert into a H/T.

The garage is roughly 20x20 with 8 foot ceilings. I plan to eventually build a detached garage to replace the converted one.

Please take a look at the (crude) drawing I have attached. Given the dimensions that I have to work with, and the area(s) that the garage backs up to, how would you suggest that I layout the H/T.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe no one here has any thoughts they would be willing to share with me about this?

How about at least a recomendation for a book or two to help me figure out how to layout the room?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'll try to jump in here. First of all, a square room is not a good thing acoustically. I'm not an expert but I remember this when building my theater out.

Maybe you could start by outlining what you hope to do in the room with regard to projection or not, seating (# of rows or seats, etc.).

Are you planning on keeping the bar?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Clue
I'll try to jump in here. First of all, a square room is not a good thing acoustically. I'm not an expert but I remember this when building my theater out.

Maybe you could start by outlining what you hope to do in the room with regard to projection or not, seating (# of rows or seats, etc.).

Are you planning on keeping the bar?
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on the bar. Currently there is nothing in the room, I would however like to add a wet bar, and for logistical reasons the contractor says that is the best place to put it (the washer/dryer are on the other side of the wall so there is plumbing lines that can be tied into).

I would like to do two rows of seating, maybe four seats per row(?), probably berklines of some sort but I really haven't given seating that much thought yet. 70% of the time it will just be my wife and I, but I would like to be able to seat 8 comfortably, and maybe a few more not so comfortably...

I will probably go with a Carrada screen, as large as makes sense for the room, and a projector, whatever the best price/performance projector is in the $2k - $3k range when I'm ready to buy.

Thanks again,

-Dan

·
Registered
30,360 Posts
Dan,
Quote:
Please take a look at the (crude) drawing I have attached. Given the dimensions that I have to work with, and the area(s) that the garage backs up to, how would you suggest that I layout the H/T.
I took your crude drawing and added some crude speakers and crude seating area. See attached diagram for a rough idea of how I would lay out the speakers and seating for your room.

The set-up should give you a wide front soundstage, which will sound nice with movies and music. In the surround field, you'll get stable directionality to your sides and behind you.

Adjust to (personal) taste.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Regarding sanjay's drawing, I might suggest turning the layout 90 degrees so that the entrance is on the side of the theater. This would allow you to put your back row of seats closer to the back wall because I think you will need the room to get two rows of berklines in there. If you do that, you might want to consider moving the wet bar 90 degrees also to keep it more on the side rather than on the back. You have plenty of width to work with but not so much depth. Everything on sanjay's drawing looks pretty good.

It would be a good idea to get some input regarding the acoustics to see if there is someway to address the square room. You will be glad you did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.