AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with activities. I have a Harmony 650 remote, Pioneer VSX-824-K AVR and Sony KDL-48W600B Smart TV. I just got the Sony TV and it replaced an older Samsung set. The activities all worked well until I replaced the Samsung TV with the Sony. I am very experienced with Logitech harmony remote so hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I have 3 sources (tivo, Firetv, Sony blu-ray) connected via HDMI to the Pioneer AVR and the AVR connected to the Sony TV's HDMI1. I have watch activities for all 3 sources. The activities sets the input on the AVR to the correct one and sets the TV input to HDMI1 always. The AVR switches properly to the correct input but the TV always displays the "SEN" input which shows all the smart tv apps. If I press the button to run the activity a second time it switches the TV to the correct (HDMI1) input. It appears to toggle back and forth each time I press the desired activity button. How can I keep the Sony TV from going the the smart tv apps screen. I don't even plan on using the smart tv features at this point. Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Sounds like you need to disable Bravia Sync and other HDMI control on all your devices. Could possibly need a longer power on delay as well.

I assume you have an Flirc dongle for the FireTV. Otherwise your 650 can't control it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need to disable Bravia Sync and other HDMI control on all your devices. Could possibly need a longer power on delay as well.

I assume you have an Flirc dongle for the FireTV. Otherwise your 650 can't control it.
Thanks for the response. I have disabled Bravia Sync but i'll have to check later if CEC is turned off on the Pioneer AVR. BTW I am using this ir receiver although I have an extra Flirc around if that would help. I haven't had much luck with the Flirc/Kodi/Firetv combo. I can get most things to work, but it seems to be a little buggy and the support is not that great. Seemingly simple bugs go on for months and months without being addressed. I don't think it's a power on delay problem because the problem still exists after the initial power on. I did try to add an extra IR command (TV HDMI1) at the end of the activity and the problem was worse. The TV would flash to the proper input and back to the TV Home/app screen. Repeated presses of the activity button would do the same thing so you could never get to the desired device. Any other ideas?. Thanks again.

Jay

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Sounds like it may be scrolling through inputs rather than using discretes, or there is some setting in the TV making it start on SEN no matter what. Try to set up the activity again and specify discrete inputs (I don't remember exactly how to do this in the latest software, but it is possible). What happens if you turn on the TV with the original remote, go to HDMI 1, turn off, then back on? Does it stay on HDMI 1 or go to SEN?

I'm not a fan of that IR receiver, but if it works better than Flirc, I guess that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it may be scrolling through inputs rather than using discretes, or there is some setting in the TV making it start on SEN no matter what. Try to set up the activity again and specify discrete inputs (I don't remember exactly how to do this in the latest software, but it is possible). What happens if you turn on the TV with the original remote, go to HDMI 1, turn off, then back on? Does it stay on HDMI 1 or go to SEN?

I'm not a fan of that IR receiver, but if it works better than Flirc, I guess that's all that matters.
HDMI control was already turned off on the AVR. I'm starting to think it's a Smart TV thing. I also just got a new Samsung smart TV in another room and it seems like both TVs want you to to start on that main "smart" screen and then go to wherever you want from there. I am using discretes for the TV (and for the AVR). The physical remote for the TV does not have dedicated buttons for each input but the discretes in the harmony database for this specific TV work properly. I believe that the harmony remote is sending some additional code that is causing the TV to go to the SEN input. If I put the harmony remote in device mode and press the soft button for HDMI1 it changes inputs correctly even pressing it repeatedly works. But when it does it during the activity is when it goes to the SEN input. It's odd though that when I press the activity button again it swaps to HDMI1. I might try another model Sony TV that is not smart and see if that works.

Jay

·
Registered
536 Posts
What happens when you turn the TV on with its own remote? If it always starts on SEN then its obviously a Sony problem (Perhaps when the Sony does not immediately detect a signal on HDMI 1, it defaults to SEN.) If it will start up on HDMI 1 (with or without a signal), what happens when you tell the Harmony 650 not to set the TV's input?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have found a workaround for now. I tried an older non-smart Sony TV (KDL-42EX440) and everything works as it's supposed to. When I decide I want use the Smart TV features I'll have to re-visit this and see if I can get working. I'm thinking that Logitech put some stuff in there to support Smart TV features (like map a button to launch Netflix) and it has some unintended consequences.

To Lils Roro, when all devices are off whether using the Sony remote or launching an activity such as "Watch TV" it works fine (TV powers on and no SEN screen). It's only when launching another activity that the problem exists. Even if it is the same activity (i.e. pressing the Watch TV button when your already in the watch TV activity takes you the the SEN screen) and pressing it again take you to the HDMI1 input and it just keeps toggling between the 2 inputs when you press the Watch TV button. Thanks to all that helped.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts