AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Sony 34" Wega tv (model 420), and am using Directv with the HD/DVR box.

I recently purchased a TERK antenna so that I could get my local channels in HD.

Do I simply just plug this antenna into the UHF on the back of my tv and enjoy the benefits? This sounds too easy.

Am I able to watch the Directv channels and notice a HD difference, or do I have to switch my input on the tv and watch the over the air feed?

Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Depends on how good of a signal you are getting at your house. Go to antennaweb.org and post the results for digital only here. Also, what model Terk did you get? Most Terks tend to be garbage for antennas.

You should notice a difference when watching the HD channels 70-79 on Directv over the regular channels on there. Check out 76, if you don't see the difference, something isn't set up right.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtvguy
Do I simply just plug this antenna into the UHF on the back of my tv and enjoy the benefits? This sounds too easy.
If that's the Sony KV-34HS420, it doesn't have an ATSC (digital) tuner, only NTSC (analog). So you can't simply plug the antenna into the TV set if you want to get digital signals (HD and SD). You'll get just the analog signals.

Does the DirecTV box have an antenna input for off-the-air reception? If it does, plug the antenna in there. If it doesn't, you'll need to buy a separate HDTV receiver.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"Does the DirecTV box have an antenna input for off-the-air reception? If it does, plug the antenna in there. If it doesn't, you'll need to buy a separate HDTV receiver."

All Directv HD tuners have ATSC tuners in them, the Tivo he bought has two actually.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the hr10-250 hd dvr does have two OTA digital/hd atsc tuners built into it. One input split to two tuners.

Take your terk antennea and hook it up to the ant inpt in rear with rg6 cable. Go through the setup and make sure it is enabled for dual tuners both dtv sat and ota.

you can also go to the ota signal check and see what ota digital channels you are picking up and at what signal strenght.

check out the antenneaweb.org site and it will show yoru local channels and what type antennea might be needed.

The hr10-250 will combine the local digital/hd channels you are able to pick up and your dtv sat channels into one guide for you. and you will be able to output them to your sony tv through the hdmi or component cables. so you will not need to change inputs. you can use the up button to select the resolution output (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) of the hr10-250 to the tv. it will not pick up analog ntcs channels.

IF you have local digital channels that you believe should be but are not receiving, then look into relocating yopur antennea to a higher better locaton or into getting a better ota antennea.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
It's not a Terk.

I'm glad people find there way here, but I wish they would do it before they buy crap like the Terk. I can just picture the warehouse at Terk filled with antennas to be re boxed and shipped out to unsuspecting customer for the next round of returns. Terk must give retailer a massive markup to offset all the cost involved with processing returns.

if you are after a near range indoor antenna it's hard to beat the Silver Sensor, available at a number of locations, even Sears. It works great, it's UHF only, but might pick up some high band VHF.

As for external/attic mounts it's hard to beat the Channel master 4 and 8 bay bow tie antennas. If you have peculiar antenna needs there are some very good very expensive antennas out there , but these will work in 80-90% of the markets.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'm really getting kind of sick and tired of folks badmouthing Terk. Perhaps their little indoor antennas aren't very good - I don't know because I never tried one. But I do have a 4 bay bow tie Terk 32. It picks up a 1.91 kW station 17 miles away and a 95.5 kW station 107 miles away, both digital. From my research, it has an average gain across UHF channels of 10.2 db although I realize numbers such as this are not always comparable as apples to apples. My point is I've seen a lot of posts critical of Terk's indoor models, so maybe that's valid. However, I haven't seen any posts that I can recollect critical of the Terk 32. So if you're interested in a 4 bay bow tie, I'd highly recommend the Terk 32. It's a little pricey compared to Channel Master or Antennas Direct, but you can get it locally at Circuit City and its easily returnable if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
You've been a member what 9 months? Have you ever done a search on Terk and read what people have to say about their experiences? If you want to waste your money on over priced crap thats your option, other people might want an antenna that performs for the money they spend.

·
Registered
22,246 Posts
Comapred to the Terk, save ~$75, get a Channel Master 3021 and get the same performance.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Gee Matt L, I guess membership tenure equates to knowledge, huh? I've had antennas on my rooftop since the mid-70's, which might be before you were born.

I didn't say all Terks were good, I said mine was. And I acknowledged that it was pricey but offered that the convenience of local availability may be worth the extra $. If it's not, then I agree with Ratman, especially if you can find a 3021 at Lowes. Lowes doesn't carry it my locale.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Sorry, wrong. I've worked with many antennas over the years probably longer than you have. I have installed many antennas, and have done a lot of research on the topic. When I upgraded to HD I went through 3 different' antennas, all from QUALITY suppliers before I found the correct one for my situation, see I'm one that small 10-20% I mentioned in my post. At this point I receive 18 OTA stations, and to achieve that I did the research, spent the money, and experimented, you buy an overpriced Terk and you're an expert?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Matt L.

I'm not going to get into a contest with you, but apparently you don't get it. I never claimed to be an expert, but apparently you think you are. Maybe you are, but I'm just offering my opinion based upon my experience. Do you have any experience with Terk? I hope so since they apparently are junk as far as you're concerned

My point was that you can't generalize that all Terk antennas are junk because, I submit, you don't know that, just as I don't know that all Channel Masters are good. And I point out again that I did not say that all Terks were good. For a very recent example of someone who is satisfied with a Terk, go to the Charleston, W VA thread and read post #611. There are also a couple of other positve posts today on other threads. BTW, I believe the Terk 32 is actually manufactured by Winegard. See the Wingard PR 4400 on their website. I guess since Terk repackages the Winegard under their name, all Winegard products are junk too and not a QUALITY product?

I'm sure your experience over the years, just like mine (I've received OTA reception in Buffalo, Detroit, Cincinnati, New Orleans, Dallas, and now Denver) is a good source of information for others who read these threads. I don't believe it's fair to the readers of this thread that posts contain information such as your statements regarding Terk, that I've only been a member for 9 months, or, similarly, your inference that your 1260 posts vs. my 81 make you the clear master of information. Everyone has something to offer, including you and me. Attacking folks like me for giving a positive, fair report on an actual experience with a Terk product is not fair and not within the intened parameters of this thread.

·
Registered
22,246 Posts
To add to post #10

.... or get a Winegard 4400 and save the same amount of money. Terk is overpriced, period!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Please stop the personal comments.

It's true that most member reports about Terk products are not very positive, but it's also true some of the newer models are copies of other successful products (like the indoor Silver Sensor), which work just fine, and other newer models are conventional designs, like the 4 bay bow tie, which also work just fine.

The one generalization that can be made, is that Terk products are more expensive than competitive products that provide equal or better performance. An example is the Terk 32 mentioned above, which is found on line for $70-80, while the Winegard version of the same design is going for $19 at SolidSignal.

·
Super Moderator
18,499 Posts
Settle down, fellas. Points taken.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.