AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Toshiba DST3000 tonight. I do not have an eliptical dish yet, so I was only able to try it with OTA material here in the Twin Cities area. These were the results I got: 100 signal meter on both 16(PBS) and 35(NBC-KARE), and about 35-45 on 50(ABC-KSTP). PBS feed was mapped to 2-1 thru 5. NBC was mapped to 11, 11-1(HD), and 11-2(SD-local radar). ABC was mapped to 5 and 5-1(HD). I assume the low rating on KSTP was due to the lower-powered antenna in use right now. It is not worth watching with this signal strength as I got severe pixelization. I am surprised at the readings on PBS and NBC being so high.

My problem is I was unable to get CBS-WCCO at all. I can get the regular channel 4, but nothing like 4-1 or anything on 32. I get no signal meter for channel 32. I was excited to watch Wolf Lake or whatever that new show is on CBS. Is it possible I am doing anything wrong?? I did the search for channels and nothing came up, and then I checked the meter on 32 and again, nothing.

The antenna I am using is one of those big ones from Radio Shack. I had it installed in the attic when my house was being built. (I don't know a model # or anything, but it's one of those big ones you see on people's roofs.)

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently, all DTV channels are being broadcast from the Shoreview towers except Ch. 50/5-1. They are broadcasting in low power from their location down near University. Supposedly they will be moving back to the towers at full strength in November. CBS is on Ch. 32 and it has been problematic for some STBs. They've been playing with turning their channel re-mapping on and off with various results. I've got a Panasonic TU-HDS20 and receive Ch. 26 (9-1), Ch. 32 (4-1), & Ch. 35 (11-1,-2) with no problems. I receive all 5 PBS channels on Ch. 16 (2-1 to 2-5), but with severe audio sync problems. If I manually turn my antenna to point at University Ave., I can pick up Ch. 50. Most of the stations are still in the learning stage, but by the end of the year, we'll be in pretty good HDTV shape in the Twin Cities. Congrats on your purchase--we need to build up a strong HDTV following here.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pete,

I'm in Plymouth too. HDTV in the twin cities has been totally frustrating. I've been able to receive the signal since last spring.

KSTP (ABC): Knows what they are doing but is still at the temp tower at low strength so reception of the signal is really difficult unless you re-aim your antenna to the SE.

KMSP (UPN): These guys do the best. Never a glitch. They must have had training or someone read the manual for operating the equipment. Problem is they have no true HD content. It's all up- converted.

KARE (NBC): They on the air, but audio quality varies, they can't even transmit the Tonight Show HD feed.

WCCO (CBS): Read the manual guys! ... or get some better hardware. Audio is always out of sync or breaking up. Many times they've forgotten to transmit the HD feed and you'll just get the up converted SD even for HD programs.

PBS: Sold out to cable. They insist on 24hr multicast and don't transmit any of the fantastic true HDTV content in HD. It's all standard def widescreen and even then sometimes they forget and just pass up the up converted feed.

SIGH ! .....

------------------

WinXP RC1, AMD Athlon 1.2ghz, AMD Chipset, 384MB, Radeon AIW, WinTV-D & DirectX 8.1

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would recommend that you try another antenna. Borrow an indoor, or take you receiver to a friends house and try it there. I doubt that the receiver is defective because it can receiver other stations.

By the way if you are close then an indoor antenna will not have so much gain and this may help.

Good Luck.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks taron, I will try that. I'm going to go purchase one tonight.

I now have another issue that is just as strange. I tryed installing an elliptical dish today and was only able to get the 101 satellite. There is a building pretty far off in the distance in the direction of the 119, but I highly doubted it would be an issue. I couldn't get any reading for 119, so I decided to wait and see if I could resolve the other issue with the local channel. I put the old dish back up and receive the 101 channels fine. I forgot to switch the reciever back from "oval dish 2" to "round dish" and was on the signal meter screen - I am now receiving strong readings on the 119 satellite with a round dish!! (As well as the 101 satellite)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, good news - taron1's suggestion worked. I bought an $8 antenna at Target and it works just as good as the $130(?) antenna I have in my attic (except on ABC-KSTP doesn't work now but that's because of the temp tower). And, CBS-WCCO comes in now. Now I don't know what that means - if I go up in the attic and "kick" it a little, will WCCO eventually come in? Or is there something that only WCCO transmits that doesn't work with that anntena?? I'm getting a little frustrated.

I'm still curious about the 119 satellite showing a strong signal on the oval dish. Maybe it's just thinking it's actually reading the 119 signal when really it's the 101?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You should adjust the big antenna until you get both channels. You may have too much signal for the receiver, adjust until you get both ABC and CBS.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Anyone have any idea when kare will be able to show hdtv. I think maybe they didn't get the equipment before the attacks, so I think if that is the case, it could be awhile - maybe a long while..

They told titantv they would begin on or about the 15th but obviously they have missed this date.

-tony

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.... Any ideas why I would not receive WCCO, while I am receiving all other channels? WCCO and KARE are on the same tower, so I know it's not an antenna issue. Is it possible the Toshiba is defective? Someone posted on that PBS board that he is using the Toshiba and receiving WCCO mapped to 4-1 right now. Am I missing anything in the setup of the receiver??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.