AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have a Hughes E86 HD receiver and a ReplayTV PVR. The output of the E86 is EITHER 480i via the composite or S-Video outputs *OR* 1080i via the component output. The ReplayTV has only composite and S-Video inputs. SO, if I am watching in HD, I can't record anything. If I am recording, I can't watch anything in HD. To make matters worse, my surround processor doesn't handle component, so I have to manually switch inputs on the TV when I switch outputs on the Hughes docoder box.

Maybe the "best" option I have come up with is to have TWO DirecTV boxes, one non-HD model connected to the ReplayTV and one running in HD mode to the TV. Then I never miss recording a show because I have left the HD recevier set to 1080i. Ultimately the best solution is a PVR that handles both ATSC and NTSC inputs and takes care of converting/transcoding, but what to do in the meantime?

Next issue: The dish is new so I'm not used to it yet. Which channel guide to use, the Replay guide or the satellite guide? I should be able to use either one so long as I am outputting a 480i signal on the sat box, but again it's that nasty HD/Component signal that's a problem. If I'm outputting in 1080i, not only can I not use the Replay channel guide but I can't use the on-screen display from my surround processor since it works only with composite sources. A related issue then would be, where to connect my basic cable TV cable for my local channels, to the satellite box or the ReplayTV? I'm thinking to the Sat box since it's earlier in the chain, and so I can access the cable channels even if I have the sat box set to output 1080i. But will the ReplayTV correctly inclue all the channels I can receive in it's channel guide (so that I can watch and record them) if the combining is all done in the sat box?

Again, the "problem" is these two "legacy" components that don't handle the component inputs, but upgrading them is either way too expensive for me (Lexicon MC-12) or not available (no ReplayTV offers component inputs or HD recording). So again, how to manage this in the meantime? A programmable remote, so I can switch mutiple components with one button? Multiple sat boxes (and an extra $5 per month)?

David

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a dtc 100 and replay hooked up together. Put a splitter on your antenna so you can add ota channels on the replay. This will allow you to tape ota and watch through hd anything you want. This only works with ota stuff and not two different sat channels. You would need a two tuner directv box for what you want. I would post this one in the replay forum for additional help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I has the same issues. Finally, I just bought another DirecTV box to feed the Replay unit. It's just much easier but adds another $5 to my monthly bill. Also got the Philips Pronto to handle everything.

I run my basic cable into the Replay with the satellite and let the Replay combine it there. Not sure what would happen if you fed the cable to the STB, then the replay.

I just got tired of making sure the STB was set to SDTV for the Replay to handle it. A couple of missed shows on the Replay and that was all she wrote.

Rich

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think a Replay would work great for pausing live HDTV, but it's too much of a hassle to use the PVR functions. There's also the HD subchannel annoyance. You may want to wait for the new Samsungs to come out, they may be able to provide simultaneous HD/SD output (the current OTA-only box does).

David

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by davidmin
I think a Replay would work great for pausing live HDTV, but it's too much of a hassle to use the PVR functions.

David
I'm trying to understand what you might have been trying to say here. The Replay will only record NTSC, via either the composite or S-Video inputs, so it can't be used to pause live HDTV. Using the PVR functions is no hassle at all, unless the sat box is set to output on the component outputs, and then it IS quite a major hassle:

1) Switch the HD receiver to the "SD" output

2) Change the source on the surround processor to the sat box

3) Change the input on the TV to the proper NTSC input

Only now does one have access to the the ReplayTV functions.

Once I get my Pronto programmed to do these steps, it shouldn't be so bad, but I'll still have to make sure I switch the sat box to "SD" before anything records on the Replay or I'll get nothing.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.