AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to PS3 and I just connected mine to a newer set via HDMi. But the signal isn't recognized by the TV. The TV is set to HDMi, but I just get a blue screen with "HDMI" in the upper corner. I searched first and found this;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=805321

It says that the PS3 needs to be set to HDMi output in the menu. If so, how do I do that if I don't have the PS3 AV cables(yet)?

Then in the last post of that thread, it says to hold the power button for 5 seconds. What will that do, and how exactly(step by step please) do I do that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You need to first hook up the ps3 with composite/rca video then you can select hdmi when it prompts you.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/15470257

You need to first hook up the ps3 with composite/rca video then you can select hdmi when it prompts you.

you also have to mess with the display settings in one of the XMB menus

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15470366

And there's no other way than with the composite cables?

Not unless you know the menu by heart. I mean if you have the composite and hdmi plugged in it will alert you that there is hdmi and ask if you want to switch.

If you have a ps2, the same AV cables work on the ps3.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone want to try and walk me through the set up with me on their end? lol

How many seps can it be if it promps you when the HDMi is connected?

Oh, and the 4 led lights on top of the controller were blinking and then stopped after a bit. Is that normal?

·
Registered
571 Posts
i thought you just need to hold down the power button when you first turn it on for 5 seconds (second beep) and the ps3 will auto detect your video output settings..

the lights blinking on the controller means its trying to pair with the ps3, in order to get the controller paired you have to plug it into the usb port of the ps3 (while its turned on) and hit the ps button

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl /forum/post/15470543

i thought you just need to hold down the power button when you first turn it on for 5 seconds (second beep) and the ps3 will auto detect your video output settings..

See now, they mention something about that in the last post of that thread.

What do you mean by holding down the power button? It's a switch in the back so how?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl /forum/post/15470543

the lights blinking on the controller means its trying to pair with the ps3, in order to get the controller paired you have to plug it into the usb port of the ps3 (while its turned on) and hit the ps button

As far as I knew that resets the video to factory default (composite).

Because I have done it when I travel, and forget to switch my ps3 back to composite.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/15470574

As far as I knew that resets the video to factory default (composite).

Because I have done it when I travel, and forget to switch my ps3 back to composite.

i only use hdmi and i fix playstations. by holding down the FRONT power button while turning it on, hold it until it beeps again. it will reset the video output to detect what you are using.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl /forum/post/15470651

i only use hdmi and i fix playstations. by holding down the FRONT power button while turning it on, hold it until it beeps again. it will reset the video output to detect what you are using.

Helz yeah, that worked! Recognized the controller right away as well.

I was thinking that I should've posted this in the set up sticky, but there's NO WAY I would've recieved the help I needed this quickly. I hope the mods see that.

Thanks everyone, some of us learned something.

And thanks again Krzykrl!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins /forum/post/15470776

Helz yeah, that worked! Recognized the controller right away as well.

I was thinking that I should've posted this in the set up sticky, but there's NO WAY I would've recieved the help I needed this quickly. I hope the mods see that.

Thanks everyone, some of us learned something.

And thanks again Krzykrl!

+1

It'll make setting my ps3 up on my main tv a lot easier after i get home from taking it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^ Cool, cool pjb. I didn't see that until now.

I thought I'd use this thread for a few other questions.

I'll be using my PS3 as a media reciever to stream video to a display, but will soon be doing this UPnP(not wifi but I still want that to work as well).

I set up my PS3 with an old linksys wireless B router. Now I went to check for media servers and nothing was found. I plan on using my MacBook Pro as a server, but what's needed for the PS3 to find my Mac?

I have a new Netgear wireless N that supports wifi. Is this what I need? If so, once that's all hooked up and working, will the PS3 find my MBP? Or what needs to happen?

Lastly, any UPnP advice/coments is welcome. It's something I'm working on and I should have it by this weekend if anyone else is interested in this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
im not sure what programs support macs but i read somewhere Twonky Vision does, so i would look into that.

as far as wireless.. b is only 11mb/s so that's going to severly limit the data coming across your network, the ps3 doesn't support wireless N, but wireless is a good wireless option.

i guess a good rule of thumb is wireless is good for streaming non-hd content. i could be wrong though.

as far as uPnP, that is an option on routers that allow programs to open their own ports.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
as far as uPnP, that is an option on routers that allow programs to open their own ports.

Does this "option" have to be set up with the router, like when I first set up everything up with my new router?

And once I do set up the router for uPnP, will the PS3 find my mac when I do a search for a serever with the PS3?

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts