AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am very new to all this and need some help

I have a HD ready sony bravia and need to find the best antenna. I have looked at several of the list posted here, but am hoping for some more specific advice. I live in a condo in Chicago - first floor among buildings with up to 8 floors on 2 sides and then Lake Michigan on the other.

I just dropped cable and want an antenna that will give me local digital and HD channels. It needs to be an indoor or a very small outdoor that can sit on a window sill.

i have tried a few to no avail.

Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hello Nannette, welcome to the forums!

Wow, nice location! Can you see Lake Michigan from your windows or patio deck? Tv reception is going to be very challenging in your location. You may be able to get some great advice from fellow Chicagoians at the thread below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815397

If you search this thread, you'll like find some antennas that have worked in similar locations of Chicago.

Good Luck!

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi rick

thanks for your welcome and advice.

yes we are very lucky to live here - winters suck, but summer is all beach!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Nannette,

I Lol'ed at your "beach" comment! :)

I have attached a generic tvfool plot for Chicago. If you go to tvfool.com, there is an excellent FAQ on how to interpret the plot and table information. You have very high level signals in Chicago and definitely do *not* need an amplifier for your antenna. In the post transition, you will have one low vhf (WOCK, ch 4), two high vhf (WLS, ABC, ch 7; WBBM, CBS, ch 12) and several UHF stations. Do you watch WOCK? If so, it will impact your antenna choice.

Digital Rules

The winegard 1080 is a good antenna for urban areas. But, the 1080 has a large negative gain (-11 db) on channel 7. See: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HD-1080 Or, does it not matter, given the high NM (+66.2 db) for ch 7?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Rick,

You're exactly right about the low gain figures for channel 7 on the 1080. It should work with a relativiely strong signal though. My neighbor is using a 1080, and it picks up a 198 watt (.198kw) channel 8, 6 miles from here reliably. None of the Clearstream antennas(C1, C2, or C4)will pick up that channel from here. I thougth it might be a good choice since she only has a window sill as a mounting option.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ok, great! What would you use a general rule of thumb with this antenna for someone that needs ch 7, 8 and/pr 9? Yes, if NM is > 30? >40? >50 db? Thanks and all the best,

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi rick

thanks, but i don't even know what wock is...said i was a newbie. i loved the chart, very interesting stuff for sure, but what do you think for an indoor antenna?? I have been to best buy and returned 2 different antennas...

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah, it's not small at 34.5 inches wide by 18 inches tall. Just put it up on your wall and call it abstract art... ;-) Which direction are the broadcast towers from your condo? Is there a closet on the outside wall facing the towers? You could put the antenna there where it's out of the way and out of sight.

There is a long thread on indoor antennas but I haven't really been following it. You could try searching the chicago reception thread for indoor antennas (see my first link).

Best,

Rick

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanette /forum/post/15457648

i don't even know what wock is.

WOCK is the Class A station currently airing in analog on channel 13.  It carries CaribeVisión, an all-Spanish service from Miami and New York.  (Until a couple of months ago it carried Azteca America, which we now get on WLFM [channel 6] and WCHU [channel 61].)

One thing you didn't mention is whether you're on the north lakefront or the south lakefront.  If you're north, your east view (depending on the position of the next building to your south) may give you line of sight to the transmitters, most of which are on Sears Tower except for a couple on the Hancock Center.  If you're on the south lakefront, your path to the transmitters is to the north-northwest, and that taller building north of you will block the direct path.

As IDRick said, your situation is better discussed in the Chicago OTA thread, so I'll be seeing you there.  But when you get there, please tell us approximately where along the lakefront you are, as it makes a big difference as to whether that beach view helps you or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts