AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have opted out of a Direct-TV Sony HD-200 option for now and will just acquire Adelphia and over the air HDTV. I have purchased two ant.'s, the "Silver" option and one from Radio Shack. I will try these in my attic (3 story townhouse). I assume I would be able, then, to get local HDTV and regular cable (Adelphia, to the best of my understanding, will not provide HDTV for some time.) I opted out of the Directtv option based on the following (which may not be sound reasoning, any comments?):

I would only get HDTV for HBO from the sat. and was going to rely on HDTV programing from over-the-air anyway. Also, I would be purchasing the Sony box for an additional $760 (interested in the DVI hookup to my 50XBR800). I decided I would waint 6 mo.s to year to see if costs/options settled, and Adelphia issues might be resolved. I prefer not putting a dish on the roof and would be happy with local HDTV and a good cable option (if Adelphia quality would every get resolved). I use my system primarily for DVD and just some regular TV viewing (though I prefer HDTV, obviously, for the usual TV fare). Am I doing the right thing? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
jjson -

You are wrong about only getting HBO HD on DirecTV... You actually will get HBO HD and HDNet with a dual-LNB dish, and if you upgrade to a triple-LNB dish, you can currently also get ShowtimeHD. I personally really enjoy HDNet because they broadcast in TRUE 1080i almost all day long. The programming is actually pretty interesting too!!

Now, I've heard a rumor that DirecTV will be broadcasting DiscoveryHD and ESPN-HD sometime in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2003 on the third LNB, so that will make it even more worthwhile.

My personal opinion is that Adelphia is junk. And their programming will look even worse on your high-end set because it will show all of the flaws of their broadcasting quality.

I would say go for the DirecTV option... Just for HDNet in true 1080i, but especially if the DiscoveryHD and ESPN-HD are true!!

Good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.