AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching an antenna for a couple of months and would appreciate some help. This is the map of the HDTV signals I can receive

http://members.aol.com/phansson/antenna

The stations that I would like to receive are as follows

Abc #21 on map

Cbs #18 on the map

NBC #27 on map

All of which are within 40 miles from my house. All are UHF. The problem is how do you receive all 3 signals? I have had no luck with multi directional antennas. Would I have to mount two uhf antennas?

Has anyone tried the square shooter?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I installed the Square Shooter today with promissing results. After looking at your map you would likely need a rotor with the Square Shooter. Also, I would recommend an antenna preamplifier or amplifier. I bought an AP8700 and it made a huge improvement. I am using RG6 cable. The house was pre-wired with a "structured cabling" package so the run from the outside location goes back to the distribution panel and then out to my Samsung STR150 tuner. It is a long run and I have a 15db DA as well as the preamplifier.

I live in the Bradenton area. Most of the transmitting towers are within a few degrees of each other. However one is about 60 degress out. I receivealmost every channel in the area. I expect that with some additional tweeking I can get them all. As a point of reference I can get all of the channels with a set of self powered rabbit ears from inside my second story theater room This was why I had some hope that the Square Shooter might work for me.

Odly two stations are in the upper VHF band. When I spoke with the Tech Support guys at Winegard they thought the VHF channels would be the biggest problem. Not so. They come in at almost antenna orientation. Multipath is the real problem with UHF. You can have a strong signal but the Samsung cannot decipher and gives you a no-signal screen.

I will be spending more time tomorrow and would be happy to bring you up to speed. Right now I receive 6 stations well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input from both of you. I have been stressing about getting an antenna up before the Super Bowl. I will try to post my results.

Patrick

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recommend the Channel Master 4228 with a rotor and preamp. I use it and an Archer Pre-Amp and get 4 HD broadcasts from 54 miles away. During daylight hours I can only get two but there's not much broadcasted until primetime anyway. The antenna is directional but will receive off the backside of it very well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly the info I needed HarleyJoel. I was wondering if it would receive off the back side also. I think I can hit all three channels. I really don't want to install a rotor or a preamp. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.