AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to set the speaker time delay on the HK 525... the screen gives the option to set in feet distances for the center, surround, and surround back. The manual says to enter the distance from the center speaker to the listening position for the center channel. OK, I get this.

Then it says for the surround and surroudn back speakers to enter the distance from the video display to those speakers. This doesn't make sense to me. The distance that is important is the distance form the surround speakers to the listening position, isn't it? And surround to fron minus listening position to front does not equal surround to listening position. Also, shouldn't it care where the front main speakers are?

I hope this post is clear enough to understand my problem. Am I just confused?

·
Registered
111 Posts
why dont you just use the ez-set slp test on the remote...it will calibrate it for you automatically.

And what the on screen menu says to do is correct. The delay settings should be from the front, not your head...your head is not sending the signals...the reciever is.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Delay times are used so sound from all of the speakers arrives at the listening position at the same time. It has nothing to do with how long the cables are from the receiver to the speaker (electrons travel at close to the speed of light).

I'm not sure how your setup accomplishes that with the choices you mention.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The signal the receiver is sending travels at the speed of light, so I"m not really concerned witht the signal from the receiver. The signal from the speaker, however, does travel to my head. The sound from my surround speakers (5 ft away) will reach my ears in 4.4 ms, while the sound from my center channel and mains (each 13 ft away) will reach my ears in 11.5 ms. The rear surround speakers (11 ft) will take 9.7 ms.

The problem is, I'm not sure what settings to put into the receiver to get it to correctly assign these settings. From the manual it would seem that I should put 13 ft for center, 18 ft for surrounds, and 24 ft for the rear surrounds. (Even though the distance from the center to the surrounds is only 14 ft due to it being a triangle.) Sound right?

As you mentioned, EZSet only does volume, not time delay so this won't help. Also, it's been my experience that EZSet just wont work. Much easier to use Avia.

- Kevin

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I posted at the same time as you Dan. Thanks for your reply.

My consumer-grade Sony receiver that I bought several years ago could accomplish proper time delay, so I assume that the problem is with my understanding of the implementation by H/K, not with the receiver itself. There seem to be many other AVR-525 owners on this board, so hopefully someone else has figured out this issue.

- Kevin

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kev, I dont remember how I achieved my delay settings, but if you just follow what HK manual is aying, im sure you will get it right

·
Registered
111 Posts
OK, I just went to their web site and read the manual. I do see how it can be confusing. I believe that is a typo..if you go back a page you will see it reads" all you need to do is measure the approximate distance between you and each speaker in your room."

Thats makes a little more sense

·
Registered
144 Posts
In working with the AVR-325, AVR-525, and AVR-7200, I have each time been confused that, given the measurements that you put in, it could never calculate a delay between the left and right front and the center channel, and therefore cannot compensate for depth differences across the front.

This makes it unclear whether the front speakers should be arranged in an arc, making the arrival times the same for a center listening position, or straight across.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what it's worth, I called Harman Kardon tech support today. Naturally, the guy on the phone had no idea how to set up the delay settings properly. He did helpfully recommend to try different settings and see which sounded best to me. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kevin, I've found HK Tech. Support to be spotty. Having experience in managing Support Centers in the past and having specific experience with HK's Support I would suggest giving them another call and maybe you'll get lucky in gettng a knowledgeable rep or you might want to ask for a "senior" rep. I have had about a 33-50% hit rate with getting an experienced, knowledgeable technical rep that knew what they were talking about. They do have some good reps... I wouldn't give up on them too quickly.

Good Luck!

Mike G.

:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has got a clear answer to this question yet. I've been wondering myself how to get the 525 to compensate for front and center channel differences. I notice the new x30 line do have an additional setting for the front distance as well. Does this mean those of us with the 525 need to have the center and front speakers exactly the same distance to the listener? Seems kinda strange since I know the 125 can set delays to the center in relation to the front, strange that this feature is gone in the 525.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.