AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been researching cooling solutions for my home entertainment center. Picture attached at bottom, not the same entertainment center but close.

The entertainment center is broken up into two sections. On the left side I have a Bose system and an xbox360. On the right side I have the Uverse DVR, a Blueray player, AppleTV, and a small 5 port ethernet switch.

There is a small 2" hole in the back for wiring and cables. Other than that there are no holes.

I have noticed the inside on both the left and right sides get very hot. Especially the right due to the xbox.

I found fans on http://www.coolerguys.com/allofourcoki.html however, I don't know what size and how many I need. Noise is also a concern and I would like to buy silent fans if possible.

I would like to get recommendations from you guys who are experienced with this. Can anyone recommend a brand, size, quantity I would need for each section? Or is there a better solution?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I recently had fans installed in my closed cabinets in my living room. I had one 120mm fan installed in each of my 2 cabinets that have AV equipment in them. The fans were a tad on the loud side, so I bought one of those multiple voltage cell phone chargers, cut the wires and put it inline with the fan and changed the voltage from 12V down to 6V. It keeps the cabinets cool. I also put 2 of those circle felt things you put on the bottom of chair legs onto the doors to keep them slightly open for air flow. I set the fans up to suck air out of the cabinets.

As for specific fan, I'd just pick one of the 120mm ones and try it out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My AVR, Blu Ray player and DVR are in a closed cabinet that looks to be roughly the same size as one bay of your cabinet. I use two of these for general cabinet ventilation:

Link: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082507.html

They move a lot of air and are very quiet. The fans come with a couple of adapters that can be inserted between the fan and the power supply that lower the noise by lowering the fan speed (and reducing air flow). You could install the fans without the adapters and add one or the other if you think the fans are too loud.

I have both fans installed high on the back of the cabinet to pull hot air out. Cooler room air gets into the cabinet through holes on the bottom. This arrangement works fine but you have to pay attention to how the air will flow within the cabinet. Solid shelves really choke off air flow. The fastest and least expensive remedy is to cut some holes in the shelves.

My AVR puts out so much heat that I'm adding a couple more of the same fans dedicated to cooling the AVR. These fans will come on when the AVR is running. They will basically lay horizontally on top of the AVR and pull air up through the AVR to increase air flow around the heat sinks. I mention this because you might need to consider a dedicated fan or two inside the cabinet just for your Xbox. From what I've read, general cabinet ventilation may not be enough to deal with the heat the Xbox generates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.