AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to set up a home theater and really need some help. I am new to the site and am not tied to any certain brand just a quality set up. My current set up is I have a Sony SXRD rear projection TV with a PS3 and no surround sound. My parents gave me a Bose Lifestyle 5 system and my initial thought was to get a new receiver and a couple Klipsch floor speakers and turn it into a 7.1 system of some kind. I don't think that is going to work very well from what I have read about using Bose stuff with other brand receivers and I don't think the sub will work either. My budget is probably around $1,500 and I do not have room for big satellite speakers in my living room which is probably 25 ft x 15ft in size. The system will be used mostly for watching Blu Ray movies, gaming, with alittle music also (probably from an Ipod). I was thinking about the new Pioneer receiver from Best Buy but am really at a loss of where to start and what to look at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
to start on the "budget" end of your search

front 3 from Jamo http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...103__0_0_0_-1/

subwoofer from TSC http://www.thespeakercompany.com/T25...r-P103C17.aspx

surrounds - any two smaller speakers that will fit your room layout

receiver - Denon 590 or 790 or Onkyo SR606 or 607 ---- my personal objection to the current Pioneer VSX lineup is their misleading power and harmonic distortion ratings. They use the old, very obsolete federal testing where one or two channels are loaded for testing, but load all 5 channels and power drops and THD goes up. The Pioneer Elite series loads all channels for testing.

good luck

speaker wire and interconnect cables www.monoprice.com

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
FWIW Bose isn't the only company that does not lend itself to being melded with any other system.

For a good 'budget' receiver the Harman Kardon 254/354 is tough to beat at current prices. At your budget a good sub is an easy decision - Elemental Designs and HSU make some of the best subs available - just find one that fits your budget.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/17019294

FWIW Bose isn't the only company that does not lend itself to being melded with any other system.

For a good 'budget' receiver the
Harman Kardon 254/354 is tough to beat at current prices. At your budget a good sub is an easy decision - Elemental Designs and HSU make some of the best subs available - just find one that fits your budget.

LIES LIES LIES! How dare you say anything bad about Bose. They produce the best speakers known to man. Nothing on earth can even come close or even hope to compare! *throws a child like temper tantrum*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the opinions. Can someone tell me alittle more about Jamo speakers, I am not familiar with the name and am doing some research online right now. Should i just get rid of the whole Bose system or try to use the speakers as surround with a new system, if they would work?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmags24 /forum/post/17019516

Thanks for the opinions. Can someone tell me alittle more about Jamo speakers, I am not familiar with the name and am doing some research online right now. Should i just get rid of the whole Bose system or try to use the speakers as surround with a new system, if they would work?

I can't comment on Bose, since they don't seem to work well with other components, and that's more what I'm interested in. There's a Jamo forum, so check them out. My sister just bought a Jamo based 5.1 system, and she is very happy with it. The prices available now are very good, so they are a viable option.

I have an Energy RC-mini / Pioneer 1019 based setup and am extremely happy with that. I guess there's several configurations that would get you a good system for your budget. Check out all of the sales from the online vendors (vanns, wwstereo, etc...) as well, BestBuy is probably one of the more expensive choices.

My only advice would be to spend more on good speakers/sub and really evaluate the features that you need from a receiver. The HK's suggested are very good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Another fine suggestion for you price range if to look into the Bic Acoustech line. I currently have a full 5.1 and could not be happier. They are very comparable to Klipsch and many think they sound better, myself included.

You have to find out if you like horn loaded tweeters first though.

Oh and they are an online only retailer.

Here is a full 5.1 setup that is pretty really good.
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1539&sc=27

With your budget I would call them from the 1-800 number and see if they are willing to sell you a 5.0 setup for a few hundred off the list price. You can then use the rest of your money to get a good receiver and a HSU sub.

They guys at that site are really nice and will work with you to help you get the most for you buck. They even let you bid for a lower price. Just don't try to abuse it, obviously.

If you decide to go this route just tell the guy you were referred by a member from AVS forums.

But more about the speakers. If you can't find someone to audition them with, I would suggest go to a local B&M shop, bring you own CD with you that has your favorite music and listen to the Klipsch speakers they have on display for at least a good hour. Don't forget to make sure the EQ is level when you do this. This will let you know whether or not you would want Horn loaded tweeters.

The sub that comes with them is a great entry level sub. But since your budget is just a bit more, you would be better off going with SVS\\HSU and all the other greats that have a 300-400 dollar buy in option.

IMHO, IMO, FWIW, FTW....and all that jazz

***oh and if you didn't realize, the Bose comment earlier was just in good fun

·
Registered
676 Posts
just to ad my 2 cents worth on a budget sub.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-43...pr_product_top

it is a 12" that I put on a target (food) cutting board since it is a downward facing speaker, on carpet.

you can read my review there. I like your question as I too am building a small home

theater setup too. I am still looking towards getting a good AVR and doing a bit of

research everywhere.

PS also noticed the comment just ahead of mine was being written as I was too.

this speaker is similar to above except it is downward facing.....I have a smaller room

and thought it would disperse the sound better.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon /forum/post/17019918

just to ad my 2 cents worth on a budget sub.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-430-Watt-Down-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B0000Y2WYS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

it is a 12" that I put on a target cutting board since it is a downward facing speaker.

you can read my review there. I like your question as I too am building a small home

theater setup too. I am still looking towards getting a good AVR and doing a bit of

research everywhere.

If he was going the Bic route, I think he would be much better off going the way of the H100 for only 25 Bux more. They will except a sale for when using BEST offer option here:
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1062&sc=32

or here:
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...at_name=Search

In fact the latter may sell it as low as $225.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts