AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to go with the onkyo 606 for my receiver and was going to just start with getting 2 floorstanding speakers to start with, then add sub then center channel...then some surrounds. I found on craigslist in my local town an ad for PSB T5 PAIR of speakers for 200 bucks. Should I jump on that? I am relatively new and was PLANNING on going with the polk t90e's but for LESS money I could go with this pair which I have a feeling are much much better quality...should i pull the trigger today?

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman33 /forum/post/15579926

I have decided to go with the onkyo 606 for my receiver and was going to just start with getting 2 floorstanding speakers to start with, then add sub then center channel...then some surrounds. I found on craigslist in my local town an ad for PSB T5 PAIR of speakers for 200 bucks. Should I jump on that? I am relatively new and was PLANNING on going with the polk t90e's but for LESS money I could go with this pair which I have a feeling are much much better quality...should i pull the trigger today?

Do it! That's a good pair of speakers. Offer the guy $150 or something, and the deal's even better.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The only thing I'll caution you on is that a lot of PSB speakers are rated for an impedance lower than 8 ohms. 6 or even 4 ohms are common with PSB. If the model you're looking at is lower than 8 ohms, then that Onkyo may not be the best receiver for these speakers. It's not that Onkyo isn't good, but you may need a higher model for the PSBs. This is why it's best to pick speakers first and then a receiver, not vice versa.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just to put in my two cents on this....

I've been running RS6s with an Onkyo 605 (the previous model) without any issues for the past year and they are rated with a 6 ohm impedance.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs26 /forum/post/15582220

Just to put in my two cents on this....

I've been running RS6s with an Onkyo 605 (the previous model) without any issues for the past year and they are rated with a 6 ohm impedance.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is actually the same model I have, and I just double-checked the specs. It's rated for 6-16 ohms. I was thinking it was rated for a minimum of 8 ohms. My mistake, but I would still be hesitant to run 4 ohm speakers with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I did pull the trigger on the speakers...they sounded wonderful through the guys harmon kardon (i cant remember the model#) and I'll send ya'll my thoughts when the onkyo shows up...thanks for the quick input from all of you...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys. Now just awaiting the onkyo to be delivered. What do I get next? Center channel or sub? ALSO, I dont think I can afford a NEW psb center channel...do I save up for the psb center or sub or is there something else that would go well with it that may cost less?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would going with a used infinity cc-3 be powerful enough to add to the system? Or is it not worth going with because the psb's are too nice for that as a center channel.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman33 /forum/post/15603732

Would going with a used infinity cc-3 be powerful enough to add to the system? Or is it not worth going with because the psb's are too nice for that as a center channel.

Wait for the most similar psb you can find. Check ebay and craigslist and all the places on the web that sell one of the PSB center channels or even one of the psb bookshelves from the line which you bought. FWIW, you saved so much on the speakers that getting the center should be no problem
. Seriously, you paid a very good price for them.

Also, FWIW, if you're listening in the stereo 'sweet spot', a center channel does very little for you. I've tried a bunch of arrangements with different speakers as a center for different mains, and nothing ever improved on the performance of the mains. The only thing the center did well was provide a 'center' presence for people who were listening outside of the traditional stereo sweet spot.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you VERY much for that helpful info. Will definately keep that in mind and I'll just be patient and keep looking for the psb that matches...and hopefully find it used

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman33 /forum/post/15604143

thank you VERY much for that helpful info. Will definately keep that in mind and I'll just be patient and keep looking for the psb that matches...and hopefully find it used

Time is on your side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwriter /forum/post/15604124

Wait for the most similar psb you can find. Check ebay and craigslist and all the places on the web that sell one of the PSB center channels or even one of the psb bookshelves from the line which you bought. FWIW, you saved so much on the speakers that getting the center should be no problem
. Seriously, you paid a very good price for them.

Also, FWIW, if you're listening in the stereo 'sweet spot', a center channel does very little for you. I've tried a bunch of arrangements with different speakers as a center for different mains, and nothing ever improved on the performance of the mains. The only thing the center did well was provide a 'center' presence for people who were listening outside of the traditional stereo sweet spot.

Just my 2 cents.

with that said, should my next purchase be a sub or a center? With what you wrote I'd think a sub...and by the way, MOST of my listening is movies/tv/gaming with some music.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman33 /forum/post/15622357

with that said, should my next purchase be a sub or a center? With what you wrote I'd think a sub...and by the way, MOST of my listening is movies/tv/gaming with some music.

I might vote a sub, but after getting the speakers in and getting used to them.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman33 /forum/post/15622357

Toughie. Maybe sub. Excellent advice given in this thread. I know my Image surround bookshelves drop to 3.7 ohms, so if the older speakers are anything like that, careful about clipping (as another member did).

While some folks would recommend the center channel first, since the LFE can be rerouted with a weaker signal to the mains, I wonder how much extra strain that will put on the receiver. Subs have their own amps, so I suppose that will be my vote.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/15625180

Toughie. Maybe sub. Excellent advice given in this thread. I know my Image surround bookshelves drop to 3.7 ohms, so if the older speakers are anything like that, careful about clipping (as another member did).

While some folks would recommend the center channel first, since the LFE can be rerouted with a weaker signal to the mains, I wonder how much extra strain that will put on the receiver. Subs have their own amps, so I suppose that will be my vote.

I agree with Josten on this. Although the T55s are quite bass capable, it may strain your Onkyo depending on how big your room is and how loud you want to play them. I have teh smaller T45s and like your T55, they throw a nice detailed soundstage. You can run them without a center channel and you wouldn't even notice it unless you were sitting off at an angle from them.

Get the sub first, enjoy the bass, slam and impact a sub can give you and save up for the C60 or C40 center channel.

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db /forum/post/15629393

I agree with Josten on this. Although the T55s are quite bass capable, it may strain your Onkyo depending on how big your room is and how loud you want to play them. I have teh smaller T45s and like your T55, they throw a nice detailed soundstage. You can run them without a center channel and you wouldn't even notice it unless you were sitting off at an angle from them.

Get the sub first, enjoy the bass, slam and impact a sub can give you and save up for the C60 or C40 center channel.

I'd love to hear those T45's. They measured pretty well in soundstage .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so...been looking online...would an Image8C match the center..can get it for like 100 bucks and a alpha subsonic 5 for the sub...would that sub have enough juice for this setup? Thanks for the help...remember Im a newb thanks

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman33 /forum/post/15648183

so...been looking online...would an Image8C match the center..can get it for like 100 bucks and a alpha subsonic 5 for the sub...would that sub have enough juice for this setup? Thanks for the help...remember Im a newb thanks

I'm using the Image T45 and the *c together and I cannot tell a difference in timbre. PSB made the sound to be interchangeable among their Image line, ie between speakers us

ng 5.5" and 6.5" drivers.

I have the older Subsonic5 and I can sure tell adifference between when its running and when its off. The 5i is supposed to be a much better sub again. PSB makes good subs but there are better subs to be had out there fro the same money as the PSBs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts