AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for our family X-mas gift this year we have decided to get a home theater system to go in out Den. we can spend around $500 right now and maybe $1000 if we wait a couple months. I have been asking so many people what to do and i keep getting mixed signals so i want to ask you all here.

Ok to start out lets go with the room size. 12' x 15' viewing is in the 15' direction.

have a Samsung HL56A650C TV.

I do NOT have Blue-ray player nor do we own any BR movies at this time.

I can hide any wires to the back so do not need wireless.

I do not download movies from netflix and do not need internet for the tv.

I have DirecTV. HD and we do watch a lot of rented movies.

Ok so a HT in a box sounds simple/ affordable, and gives us what we need to get going. However I have been told that they lack in so many areas and to get a true moive theater sound I need to buy a reciever and speakers all to fit my taste and room size. Is this true? do the HTIB not have enough power (watts) to give me good sound in a 12'x15' room? Do they NOT decode all the different style of audios that may be put on any different movie? Will i ONLY get Theater sound when using the Blue-ray player? off a BR disc? Will my TV not allow me to use a HTIN system becasue of the wrong type plugins? As you can see I have been told that a HTIB are not worth the money nor will they work with my TV and I am being pushed to spend more money on a bigger system. If they are crap then i will wait, but if they will do what I want then I can live with it not being a $1000-1500 system... I do not have to have the best. just want what will work and make our movie and sporting events fun to watch.... thank you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am in a similar situation, wanting to buy or piece together a TH system for around $500. I think most people here will tell you that if you can wait a couple of months to spend $1000, then go that route.

From what I read, the biggest hindrance to HTIB is the speakers. With something like the Onkyo packages I am looking at, the receiver is supposed to be decent to good, but the speakers is where they skimp on quality. The thing is though, as a noob it is hard to know where to start with a DIY kit, and from what I've been reading it is nearly impossible to put one together and match or beat a $500 HTIB price, despite what those critical of HTIBs say. Like you, I don't care about music and just want this for movies and games, so is a HTIB at $500 going to suit my needs just fine, or can I do better for at or around that price?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Throwing Chicken I am wanting the same thing. I would like to buy a HTIB system that will decode movies from both the BR player that comes with the system, as well as current owned DVD's that I will play on my new BR-player that comes with the system. as well as movies/tv programs that I recieve over the air from DirecTV. Is this to much to ask from a HTIB system? I have been told that it is.

Like you I have been told that the speakers are crap in a HTIB system but I feel like for the money I will save ($1000+) it will be worth it to me at this time. Long run maybe not, but so many things can change in my life in 2-3 years.

So I am hoping that somone will help give us the info we will need to make this choice easier for us both...! Anyone?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Start with a Denon DHT-591ba. It comes with a Denon Receiver which is a great company and it comes with Boston Acoustic Speakers. Its the only HTIB I recommend.

Now I get theater like sound from DVDs in my budget system though I perfer Blu-rays to rent

The crap most people fall for is they buy systems which is all in one Blu-ray and home theater receiver

No you want something you can build on to and the Denon DHT-591ba is the setup that you can grow with.

Just buy a separate Blu-ray player later

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I would agree in main with craztrob425 but getting decent equipment will account for 20% or less (IMHO) of the sound quality the other 80% is going to come from proper placement and room conditions (both in sound isolation and acoustic treatments).

If your room is anything like my Family Room which is open plan, no way of getting correct speaker positioning and if I tried to put a bass trap or treat first reflections I think I would be heading for divorce!!!

So I have a dedicated room, that is treated for sound isolation and acoustics and I have pretty decent equipment in there. In my Family Room I just bought a cheap Samsung HT-C5500 for less than $500 and it does an 'adequate' job considering the room.

My opionion is its only worth spending the big $ if you can actually benefit from it. If you can't your wasting it..... but if you have $ to blow do what you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems pretty clear that this is really just subject to ones bank account. Just like every type electronic that is made in the whole world you get what you pay for. would I love to buy a system that could be found on some show from DIY "YES" but I am living in the real world with simple tatse and living pay check to pay check. I am 100% sure that my den is going to suck in the acoustics department. and no way I am going to spend the money on trying to make it better. Heck it is just me, my wife and our daughter... I am not going to be selling tickets on movie night... I am just trying to make the sound of our movies we watch in this area better.

I was hoping that i could come here and get some info on HTIB systems and find out what i should look out for when trying to buy one. Now it looks like I am going to have to rely on the 20 year old sales person at Best Buy to shoot me straight while I am in the store..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the Onkyo HT-S6300. The receiver seems to get high marks, with the speakers said to be good for a HTIB. If push comes to shove maybe I will upgrade the speakers sometime down the road, but I am fairly certain they will get me by just fine.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roba22 /forum/post/19627298

Well it seems pretty clear that this is really just subject to ones bank account. Just like every type electronic that is made in the whole world you get what you pay for. would I love to buy a system that could be found on some show from DIY "YES" but I am living in the real world with simple tatse and living pay check to pay check. I am 100% sure that my den is going to suck in the acoustics department. and no way I am going to spend the money on trying to make it better. Heck it is just me, my wife and our daughter... I am not going to be selling tickets on movie night... I am just trying to make the sound of our movies we watch in this area better.

I was hoping that i could come here and get some info on HTIB systems and find out what i should look out for when trying to buy one. Now it looks like I am going to have to rely on the 20 year old sales person at Best Buy to shoot me straight while I am in the store..

If you have been usiing TV speakers then a all in one HTIB will be a noticable improvement. Get something that fits your budget/needs. Many places will allow a 30 day return if you really hate it...... and no mater what advice you get here its your ears..... blu-ray playback will be typically unoticable between players and DVD upscaling will depend on size/quality of your TV.

Sure separates are better, and in many cases more $ mean better but not always sometimes your paying for brand.

Unfortunately AVS is not really best place for entry level gear advice, we all tend to strive to get best and I agree that can be a little off-putting.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts