AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am newbie here and this is my first post so apologies if I do not put it right way. AVS forum has been a great help so far to me and hoping to get good response for my confusion.

I am about to build my first HT. I am not audiophile but do appreciate good sound. I will be mainly using for cable, movies and often music. I enjoy live/bright sound more than neutral.

I moved into a new house few weeks back and it came with 4 in-ceiling pre-wires (2 fronts, 2 backs). I am little nervous after lot of warning from people on AVS about audio quality compromise with in-ceiling.

With that in mind, I am deciding to go with 4 in-ceiling speakers and on floor subwoofer and above/below the TV center channel. The room is 20x20 and 10 ft ceiling height.

Below are the speakers I am considering:

Subwoofer + center channel: Klipsch (around $300-400 each)

In-ceiling Speakers:

SpeakerCraft AIM7 two (210/ea)

Klipsch CDT 3650-C II (250/ea)

Yamaha IC800 (150/pair)

I know there are exceptional speakers out there including awesome in-ceiling however, I am not looking to spend more than $1500-1800 or even less if possible.

The questions I have is:

1. Do you guys think this setup would be lesser of a compromise since I will have sub and center near floor? Or In-ceiling speakers is just no-no?

2. Do you guys think purchasing good quality sub + center can help to go with cheaper in-ceiling speakers like I mentioned above? Or they will be still weakest link?

Please provide your feedback/experiences/suggestions as this is first time for me and there are many ways I can go wrong. Also, please provide suggestions with other brands. I came to this list after listening to them in nearby stores but I am totally open to suggestion as far as it falls in my budget.

Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't even consider in-wall speakers. I'm sure there are some decent sounding ones out there, but a pair of floorstanders or bookshelf speakers for the same price will always sound better than in-wall speakers. The sub will improve the low to low-mid range, but depending on the sub you might have to be careful that it doesn't overpower the in-wall speakers.

If you're dead set on getting in-wall speakers for the front, you should at least have them match the center. I'm not familiar with SpeakerCraft, but Klipsch speakers are generally very live/bright/etc and they have quite a few in-wall speakers available. Personally, I would put some or all of the money for the center into the front L/R and either get a cheap center or no center at all.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
OP, I have the Speakercraft AIM 2's upstairs in my non-theater room. They replaced really crappy builder grade speakers (in-ceiling).

Couple things:

- If you can go in-wall for your front three (left, right, center) 100% do it.

- The problem you are going to have with in-ceiling (with any of the speakers you mention) is that the sound is not angled enough to hit the listening position. Unless you go with a better engineered in-ceiling speaker.

- If you have to stick with in-ceiling and cannot go in-wall, I would go with a Deftech UIW RCS III speaker or Triad Bronze in-ceiling speaker. These speakers have a 45 degree angle and will actually project sound at the listening position. They will cost more. But, IMHO it is worth the extra cost. The Deftech's can be found for about $350 apiece. Triad is a little more.

Some info and pics:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-iii

Triad:
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

- The other thing to consider is enclosed speakers vs open baffle. Are there rooms above this room? Beside? I can tell you that we get lots of bleed through with the Speakercraft and I am considering other options now because of it. The Deftech and Triad speakers are actually enclosed and will do a much better job of containing in-wall speaker loss.

Consider:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_prevent_audio_loss_with_in_wall_speaker_systems

The Speakercraft speakers are not bad, but if this is your main listening area, I would either go in-wall, in-room, or spend more to get properly engineered in-ceiling speakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your awesome suggestions. I will call in some installer and see if he can extend my in-ceiling to in-wall level easily.

I do have master bedroom right above the living room area so probably I will have to look for speakers with enclosures to reduce audio loss. What do you guys think of Episode/paradigm? I will check into Def Tech too.

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
11,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT avs  /t/1469602/help-with-ht-setup-consi...-floor-subwoofer-center-channel#post_23237181

Thank you guys for your awesome suggestions. I will call in some installer and see if he can extend my in-ceiling to in-wall level easily.

I do have master bedroom right above the living room area so probably I will have to look for speakers with enclosures to reduce audio loss. What do you guys think of Episode/paradigm? I will check into Def Tech too.

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

Episode makes some solid speakers that have encloures. I like Paradigm, and I believe they have speakers with enclosures or backer boxes that you can add, but I tend to find them to be a little overpriced. I would take Triad and Deftech over them personally.

With the bedroom over that room, you 100% want enclosed, and if there is not insulation in your ceiling or wall, I would put some in as well to reduce noise. At least around the speakers as much as you can.

A roll of R19 pink stuff from Home Depot will do wonders
About $10-20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I will look into in-ceiling LCR speakers. I look at the design and here is another thought:

I have tube running from receiver to mounted TV (around at 5.5ft height). I can technically run speaker wire from receiver to TV and add on-wall speaker below the TV. Here are my considerations and your input/thoughts will be helpful -

1. Add on wall/shelf LCR speaker along with 4 in-ceilings

2. Add on wall/shelf LCR speaker, leave in-ceiling fronts and add in-ceiling rears

3. Add on wall/shelf Center Channel with 4 in-ceilings (could be LCR for fronts).

Do you guys think 1 would work or fronts with LCR would be overkilling?What is your opinion on #2? I think 3rd option is somewhat what you guys already suggested...

·
Registered
11,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT avs  /t/1469602/help-with-ht-setup-consi...-floor-subwoofer-center-channel#post_23239545

Thanks guys. I will look into in-ceiling LCR speakers. I look at the design and here is another thought:

I have tube running from receiver to mounted TV (around at 5.5ft height). I can technically run speaker wire from receiver to TV and add on-wall speaker below the TV. Here are my considerations and your input/thoughts will be helpful -

1. Add on wall/shelf LCR speaker along with 4 in-ceilings

2. Add on wall/shelf LCR speaker, leave in-ceiling fronts and add in-ceiling rears

3. Add on wall/shelf Center Channel with 4 in-ceilings (could be LCR for fronts).

Do you guys think 1 would work or fronts with LCR would be overkilling?What is your opinion on #2? I think 3rd option is somewhat what you guys already suggested...

Guess I am a little confused. Is this for a 5.1 setup or 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about that. This is 5.1 system. I have 4 in-ceiling pre-wires (2 fronts and 2 backs). TV is mounted at 5.5 feet and I have a way to add center channel below the TV.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT avs  /t/1469602/help-with-ht-setup-consi...-floor-subwoofer-center-channel#post_23240698

Sorry about that. This is 5.1 system. I have 4 in-ceiling pre-wires (2 fronts and 2 backs). TV is mounted at 5.5 feet and I have a way to add center channel below the TV.

Ahhh.. That sucks that they never wired the center. You could try a "phantom center" using the left and right speakers. You could have somebody wire the center to match the left and right surrounds, and you could try having the center below the TV. My concern would be panning sound across all three speakers and also you want to try and match the center to the left and right speakers. The manufacturer may have some ideas if they have an in-room speaker that matches their in-ceiling from a timbre matching perspective.

If it was me, I would probably just try to get the center wired in the ceiling and match all three unless it is cost prohibitive.

Or go with all three fronts in-room and skip the in-ceiling altogether if this is even an option. Sorry, I totally missed your oringal post about only having four speaker wired. I have no clue why they would wire 4 channels vs 5. You might be able to complain and get it wired for free or a discount since it was done so sloppy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I will make sure to get timbre match speakers. I will probably stick brand to achieve that.

Do you think on-wall LCR speaker would be suffice for all front channels or it is same compromise as having in-ceiling fronts (LR)?

I can add LCR speaker along with in-ceiling fronts to compensate issues caused by in-ceiling fronts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.