AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been designing / redesigning the game/media room of my new house for some time. I have gone round and round on what type of display, speakers, locating speakers etc.

I have decided to use a front projector, with a pretty large screen, like 110" diagonal. The projector will be ceiling mounted. The room will also have a pool table and some other stuff. It will be 25' wide by 30' long, 12' ceiling.

I can't put the chairs/couches on a platform, so that means the screen will be pretty low on the wall. I figure the bottom will be at 24". After reading a ton of posts here about perforated vs non perforated, I think I want to go non-perf.

So now to my question... Given that I want my LCR lined up vertically, it only makes sense to have the speakers lined up with the bottom of the screen or the top. In my current (family room) HT setup, I have my speakers high, at about 6 1/2 feet. Sounds great.

Looking at about 50 issues of Audio-Video magazine over the weekend, I saw that MANY HT setups had the speakers placed in cabinetry, just off the floor!

I will use a satellite style, probably M&K 150's, so size of speaker isn't that much of a concern.

So what do you guys think - 12" off the floor, angled up? Or like 7 feet off the floor, angled down?

I know neither is perfection, but I believe this is where I am in the compromise department.

Maybe another question (!) Given the size of this room, would you prefer the sides / rears located in the ceiling or on the walls? If on the wall, the rears would be about 15 feet behind the listener when he is seated for a movie.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jeez! Must have been too lame of a question.

I think I will put them on top. Seems to me that considering listening in other parts of the room (like the pool table area) will be better as it is a straight shot, vs coming from the floor it would reflect off the ceiling.

Now back to the debate on which speaker is best!

Bob.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
IMO you're making a lot of compromises - but given your options the 7' angled down is far superior for your room. On your second question - 15' behind the listener is too far back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. The wife and I mocked up the whole end of the room using our current family room cabinetry. The speakers would be more like 8' high. Yikes.

So what do you guys think? Go with the perf, now the speakers (behind the screen) can be at 4' high or so, BUT - the separation will be 10 feet on the outside (i.e. width of the screen). Enough separation?

Seems like a better tradeoff to me. Thoughts?????????????????????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.