AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HTPC, self-built, which consists of an ASUS 775 MB, Dual Core e4500 at 2.20GHz, 2GB Corsair SLI memory, and ATI Radeon 2600 XT video. Decent low-end to midrange components for HD playback. The HTPC is connected to a four input HDMI auto switching selector with remote. Also connected are an XBox 360, Upconvert Samsung DVD player, and DirecTV HD receiver. The output on the HDMI 4x1 switch goes to a powered 1x2 HDMI splitter. This splits the signal to two destinations, a Samsung 40" LCD display and an InFocus projector, both supporting 1920x1080 or 1080p. I have a booster at the projector to assist with the 50ft or so of HDMI cable. Quality and signal are flawless to both destinations from all sources. I have several issues that I just cannot seem to resolve.

The first and most critical is the HTPC loss of signal once the source is changed on the HDMI switch or one of the other devices gets powered on. The HTPC is connected to the 4x1 HDMI switch by way of a DVI to HDMI converter. It appears to work fine. If I boot the HTPC, the video appears on both the TV and projector, whichever destination I prefer. If I switch to any other source via HDMI, I can no longer go back to the HTPC. Video just does not appear. When I check the PC, it is powered on but the green light blinks periodically with no disk access. It's almost like the PC goes into a sleep mode. I have to physically power it off (ungracefully), set the HDMI switch to the HTPC input and power it back on to use it. In fact, none of the other devices can be on when I am using the HTPC. If another device is powered on during the boot of the HTPC, the source will switch to the other device in between the bios screen and the booting of Windows where the video signal drops for a few seconds. This is incredibly painful. All other sources, DVD, XBox360, and DirecTV work fine. I can switch between them with no problem whatsoever. I have checked the HTPC power settings and I have set everything to never, never; basically it should just remain on. BTW, the HTPC is running Vista Ultimate and I am using Media Center.

Secondly, and this is just as painful, my XBox360 responds to the power on code for Media Center on the HTPC. I have no idea how to workaround this one. It wouldn't be such an issue if I could resolve the above problem. Basically, I power on my HTPC and destination device. When I press the Media Center button on my remote (keyboard or remote), My Xbox360 powers on, causing the 4x1 HDMI splitter to automatically change to the XBox360 input. At this point, I am unable to switch back to the HTPC because the video dies. WTF??? My only workaround at this point is to use the Microsoft Media Center Keyboard which has a track mouse, select the Media Center icon on the desktop, and start it.

Third, When I start the HTPC regardless of the source, it randomly boots to 480 or 720. It never starts at 1920x1080. This pretty much sucks as well. It appears to be random. Again, both destination devices support 1920x1080. If I start my XBox360, it sets the resolution correctly. Same for DVD and DirecTV. Only the HTPC causes problems. Perhaps the Radeon card just isn't capable of providing HDMI output to multiple destinations using a single DVI port at the same resolution. Logically it should work. I have a profile configured under the CCC that sets the resolution to 1920x1080. I have to manually select it once the PC boots. I also have to be careful not to start any other source devices accidently by remote as this will change the HDMI input and I will have to start the process over if I wish to view HD on the HTPC.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? I know this is a complex setup but for the most part it works flawless. It's just the HTPC that causes sleepless nights. I have tried using the HTPC as an extender and view the HD content on my XBox 360, unfortunately WMC on the XBox360 stops responding while searching for media.

Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks for reading this long-winded message.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Do you have the HTPC DVI output set as the Primary display? This could be the cause of your video switch troubles.

The remote issue is most likely due to Microsoft using the same Power On IR code for both the Xbox and Windows Media Center. Are you using a Media Center remote, or a universal remote? Are you using an IR program such as Girder or just the front end software such as Media Center? How I solved IR command conflicts is selecting arbitrary IR codes to program the remote to, and using Girder to map these codes to the appropriate application. This may not be the ideal solution to the problem, it's just how I choose to solve it.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have confirmed that the HDMI connection on the HTPC is the primary. Nothing is connected to the second DVI port. I suppose I could use girder to remap the WMC button to something else on the HTPC.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Somehow we need to test if it's the HTPC that is the problem or the set. Do you have a VGA cable that you could use to test with that? I found in my scenario I had similar problems and the easiest way for me to work through them was using a VGA cable to see what's going on the HTPC when the DVI/HDMI interface stopped working. An interesting thought is that I never disconnected the VGA cable even though I do not use it for anything. I have always wondered if by leaving it connected it keeps the connection "alive" in similar situations as you are experiencing.

The primary vs secondary display is my only real thought I had to offer. The VGA cable is more of a long shot to consider trying.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the same problem with HTPC and Xbox sharing the same "on" Media center button. What I have done is program my harmony with the shortcut buttons ( or if you are using original, just use the shortcut buttons) of Videos, Music, Live TV etc.

It will launch media center straight to those and you can continue or back out to main screen.

I haven't looked at this yet but I was told you could change settings on Xbox for remote. Snoop around in the 360 menu.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminence55 /forum/post/14329539

I haven't looked at this yet but I was told you could change settings on Xbox for remote. Snoop around in the 360 menu.

You can change it - it's in the settings menu, called remote. The options are for MCE remote + 360 remote, or 360 remote only. Change it to 360 remote only and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Is it possible to control the xbox360 w/ the MCE remote?

·
Registered
159 Posts
You dont mention your OP system but i found I had no problems with the 2600xt with windows xp but have issues under vista 64 ultimate and I read its the drivers are not up to scratch yet, It works most of the time but just turning tv of and on again can cause a reboot or no picture arrrgh. When booting it sometimes hangs when it changes the resolution to 1920 x 1080p as my lcd shows this so I know thats when it hangs its a pain in the ass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts