AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a HTPC. I want to use the HTPC throught component. Is this hard to do? What cards would be best for this type of setup?

I have seen the issues ppl have connecting PC's through the HDMI or DVI connections, but I have not seen much in reguards to component setup.

·
Registered
565 Posts
hdiesel77,

I am presently using an ATI 9600XT with a DVI to component Dongle connected to my Sony 51" RPTV that is capable of either 480p or 1080i. I have the Dongle set for 480i, 480p, 1080i and 16:9 and have the secondary display resolution on the ATI card set for 1776X1000. This resolution results in minimal overscan. I am presently using overlay, but will upgrade to an ATI X800XL video card this weekend so that I can reliably use VMR9. The 9600XT will do 720p in overlay, but I am pretty sure that it cannot do 1080p in VMR9.

The present Sony RPTV picture looks great in 1080i using overlay. You will have to use AnyDVD or the like to get the ATI card to display resolutions greater than 480p on the secondary monitor.

Regards,

TCIII

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TCIII,

Thanks for the reply! I have been looking at the cards you mentioned. What do mean about the secondary monitor setting? Do you know how this setup would work on a fixed display like mine?

Has anyone else used this setup on a fixed pixel displaly?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Yes I use the ATI 9800pro, the DVI to component adapter at 1776x1000, with the same 55†Sony WF series TV. Everything works perfectly. With the new Catalyst drviers(Cat 5.8s) I can run any 1080p WMVHD videos with no skips. There is also a deinterlacing menu in the CAT CCC drivers that lets you control deinterlacing. I am not sure exactly what it does but it might help with flicker if you have that problem. Here is a post about how to set it up and what the benefits of the component adapter are.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=469093

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great! I will go over your thread and start looking at the exact components I will need. Thanks to both of you for the replys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.