AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Wayne (Xcel), I am now running a beautifully set-up HTPC and receiving the benefit of a much improved picture for display with my Sony W400Q. In fact, thoughts of upgrading the projector have been put on hold thanks to the new look.

What I'm struggling with now is gaining IR control of the HTPC, and integrating control into my Pronto. The PC box is in a room adjacent to the theater. My system has been tied together with a passive XanTech junction box, including control of the projector which is 30 feet away from other equipment in a utility room behind the theater. All this has worked smoothly.

I purchased a generic IR keyboard, apparently not the Airboard often mentioned on this forum, and added another IR emitter from its IR receiver into the XanTech junction box. This worked intermittently, but only if the keyboard emitter was within inches of the system IR receiver. Note that the LED on the receiver would blink at greater distances, but apparently not pass an adequate signal to the computer.

Thinking to amplify the IR signal, I upgraded the XanTech junction box to a model which amplifies the signal. I also powered the new XanTech with an upgraded power supply.

From my theater seating, I now have control of mouse pointer movement with either the keyboard or a mouse screen set up on the Pronto. But L and R clicking works only with the keyboard very close to the system IR receiver, and not at all with the Pronto. I suspect that trying to teach the Pronto the mouse clicks from the keyboard didn't work.

For the present, I would be happy controlling the HTPC with mouse pointer and clicks, and save keyboard shortcuts for another day. It looks like I could accomplish this by moving the system IR receiver away from the equipment and closer to the seating, but at the expense of ugly wiring in an otherwise very tidy room. The Pronto has the reputation of a very strong IR output, and I think likely it will serve if properly programmed.

I have seen CCFs at Remote Central for WinDVD, but nothing for the ATI player.

Does each brand of keyboard have a unique set of IR codes for control of the PC, or is there some standard?

Where should I go from here? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
RF based Keyboard and/or mouse is another option. It might be able to go through walls.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sodbuster,

Greetings from another 400Q owner who just started watching movies on a new HTPC. I assume that you are familiar with the whole Girder/IRman setup. This is what I am using to control my machine, together with a Pronto.

I never found a CCF to control the ATI player, but there are Girder export files that work. All I did was use ProntoEdit to copy the panel that I use to control my Toshiba DVD. I reassigned IR codes to all of the buttons on this panel, and then learned these events in Girder. Now I have pretty much full control of the ATI DVD player from the Pronto.

In your case, you would have to get the IRman receiver into the room with an extended cable or something. However the receiver is very small and hopefully you could do something to keep the look of your room nice and clean.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Kerry, I may very well end up going that route. I have seen quite a few posts touting success with the IR Man and Girder combo. But I have also seen some posts swearing it was too difficult to learn. I will definitely do some research in that area. I'm very fond of my Pronto, and want to be able to integrate the HTPC contol into that remarkable remote, so if I can't find success on the current path, I'll know where to look next.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.