AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying desperately to get a Russound repeater to function correctly.

I have an IR receiver, wired with cat5 to a connector block with a couple of dual headed emitters. Simple setup. Bottom line is that it works only for controlling my tivo but not my preamp or dvd player.

The lights on the IR receiver and connecting block lite up indicating that it is receiving a signal and repeating it. I've tried turning the emitter around glue side out, putting two emitters on each device. I've even gone so far as to bring the whole setup downstairs and tried it on my other tv setup and get the same result. Tivo-yes, anything else-no.

Does anyone have any ideas to try?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
What brands are the preamp and DVD player?

CJ

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Settops that can't be controlled are Scientific Atlanta.

DVD's are Panasonic. Preamp is Acurus.

All can be controlled from their own remotes or universal-just not with the IR repeater.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Try pulling the emitters away somewhat from the components' IR sensors. Sometimes too much signal can overload them.

CJ

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It works now. The suggestion of pulling the emitter away solved the problem but not for the reason you thought. When I pulled the emitter away it worked-but only if it was more than 2" away and less than 6". That didn't make sense to me until after some experimenting I found that the the IR sensors on the components that didn't work weren't where I thought they were. Once I found that out on one unit the others became easier. THANKS/

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The best way to find the IR sensor on a particular piece of electronics is to shine a flashlight into the tinted plastic to confirm you have the emitter directly over the "IR" eye. (I know you fixed it, but if you move and re-install the system you can do that).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emcgrath
Settops that can't be controlled are Scientific Atlanta.

DVD's are Panasonic. Preamp is Acurus.

All can be controlled from their own remotes or universal-just not with the IR repeater.
emcgrath,

Just to clarify, are you saying that you got the Scientific Atlanta (in my case the Explorer 3100) to work with an IR emitter?

I just posted this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=375082 over in the Remotes forum.

I located the sensor and played with the distance to no avail. How did you get yours to work? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I used an IR emitter without a problem on the Scientific Atlanta Explorer (HDTV). I actually popped off the lense cover and put the emitter inside and then put the cover back on.

CJ

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes and no. as it turns out, since I have a tivo I don't use the remote to control my settop box, but...I do use a tivo ir repeater to control both a 3100 and a 5100. The emitters are located about an inch away from the front of the box-above and below the bypass led.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.