AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'll try to be as concise as possible in explaining my issue. I'm trying to set up two zones with HDMI 1/2 out. Both HDMIs are going to the same television but each input's picture settings on the plasma is configured differently, one for TV/movies and the other for games. I figured doing two zones is easiest, I want to connect all sources directly to the receiver.

I have no issues with the second zone but for the main zone, I can only get picture when connection to HDMI 1 or 3 on the tv. I want to use HDMI 2 though because I want to utilize ARC when I use netflix/hbo go on the tv. IS there some conflict I'm not recognizing?

Relevant equipment information
Receiver: Pioneer sc-81
TV: Samsung f8500

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
Check to make sure the main zone connection to HDMI2 works when the Zone 2 HDMI cable is disconnected. That HDMI port might be damaged on either the TV or AVR. Only change HDMI connections when both devices are powered down.

Check to make sure you have auto selection of HDMI display (output) ports disabled in the AVR. Use the manual port selection. Auto detection often has problems when they're both connected to the same display.

Once you get that port working, don't be surprised if CEC and ARC do not do what you want. CEC (usually required for ARC to work) often is incompatible between devices from different manufacturers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check to make sure the main zone connection to HDMI2 works when the Zone 2 HDMI cable is disconnected. That HDMI port might be damaged on either the TV or AVR. Only change HDMI connections when both devices are powered down.

Check to make sure you have auto selection of HDMI display (output) ports disabled in the AVR. Use the manual port selection. Auto detection often has problems when they're both connected to the same display.

Once you get that port working, don't be surprised if CEC and ARC do not do what you want. CEC (usually required for ARC to work) often is incompatible between devices from different manufacturers.
The HDMI with ARC was actually HDMI 3, I was using the right HDMI cord (routed all cables behind the wall) but was checking the wrong input. SUPER derp moment, all is squared away now but thanks for the response.

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
It's good to know it was something inexpensive :)
It would have been much more painful if one of the HDMI circuits had failed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts