Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all,

I'd like to get some input from you guys about the placement of sattelite surround speakers in my family room. I don't think I have alot of options, but I'd appreciate the feedback anyway. I put together some primitive sketches of the walls here . Note that the North and West walls are exterior walls, and the South Wall opens into the kitchen which extends on about another 20 feet. A 32" tv is in that Media Niche and our sofa is across against the opposite wall.

What I'm thinking is the rears go on that back (East) wall, 9-10 feet up maybe a foot in from the sides. Front mains would be 8+ feet up on the front (West) wall, again about a foot in from the sides. As you can see, where the tv is placed, and the center channel that will sit on top of it, is off center. Subwoofer placement will be either on the floor in front of the tv, or the back NorthEast corner of the room.

How does that all sound to you? The two things of concern are the off-centeredness of things (esp. center channel) and that it's all open into the next room.

Aside: A couple months ago, I "borrowed" an open box set of speakers from GG that I set up haphazzardly around the room, and it sounded so much better than the pair of 10+ year old bookshelf speakers that are currently sitting on the floor. I returned them after about 3 weeks (not the model I wanted), and my gf has been bugging me about getting this install done ever since! Maybe this is one way of increasing the w.a.f.? ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I guess that's about right, especially if aesthetic placement of the speakers is a priority. The only change I would make would be to make sure the left and right main speakers are same distance from the TV. Although not as aesthetically pleasing, the idea of a seamless front soundstage is predicated on the center being at the same vertical axis of the TV and the left and right channels being roughly the same distance from the center of the image. Optimal placement of the speakers would be at about 4' for the mains (~ear level) and 6-7' ft for the surrounds.

If you have to mount them higher up to make them less obtrusive, angle them down toward the listening area and still keep the left and right mains equidistant from the tv if possible and the surrounds equidistant to the center of the seating area.

The better solution would be shift the couch over to minimize the difference between the center of the TV and the center of the couch and to mount the mains on either side of the from the media center at about ear level (~4 ft. or so from the ground) and to shift the right surround over to reestablish equidistance between the surrounds and the seating area. Probably wouldn't be as pretty though as the right surround and the front speakers would all be noticeably on the walls at eye level.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanx for the feedback. We already have the couch pretty much centered on that back wall and being a little at an angle to the tv isn't too big a deal.

This issue of have a nicely centered, symetrical home-theatre-type setup is just not a consideration in the design of new construction homes. Pretty much everything I've seen out there has this arrangement of fireplace next to a niche where your supposed to stick your tv into.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The only other trick I've seen is to mount a plasma TV over the fireplace mantel. In many cases this allows you to center the TV between the speakers. The downside is that in your case it looks like the fireplace is off center and the TV would possibly be too high. Just a thought. . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.