AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

I am having some difficulty hooking up my LG LH85 wireless HDTV and the Onkyo TX-SR806.

Previous to having the HD channels my LG ran through the regular TV input and things were fine. I had picture, sound through the Klipsch surround, and , it was running through the Onkyo receiver. After the cable guy comes to install the HD receiver, I now have to run the HDMI cable directly to the LG bypassing the receiver altogether. It is the same hookup with my DVD player. As you might figure out, I have no sound coming through the receiver, and surround. After the cable guy left, (all he did was to get the HD channels going for me), he said he would leave the rest of the hookup to me. Well, I have tried connecting it to the receiver again, and when I hook the HDMI cable to ANY of the HDMI outputs on the receiver, there is no sound, and in most cases, the LG does not recognize the signal. (I get a no signal on the LG).

I am totally confused, how is this supposed to be connected to get both picture and sound while using my Onkyo receiver? When I checked the manual, it stated that if I ran the LG and the DVD player through the number 1 and 3 outputs, I should be fine. But, I do not get any signal that way. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
Welcome shark291, you are confused with Input and Output.

Onkyo TX-SR806:

- connect DVD Player to HDMI IN-1 (DVD)

- connect HD Receiver to HDMI IN-3 (CBL/SAT)

Now connect a HDMI cable to Onkyo TX SR806 HDMI OUT then connect it to Media Box HDMI IN 1

If you are not using Media Box, then connect it to LG Tv HDMI IN 5

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
So are you using the Media Box or just the Tv?

Most cable box don't play well when running it through the receiver, which is why the cable guy ran it direct to your Tv.

With everything connected and "ON", reboot the HD Receiver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using the media box right now.

I have done what you have mentioned, turning everything "on" and rebooting the HD Receiver. I still have sound through the Onkyo, but, I am still getting a "No Signal" message. Could it possibly be the HDMI cables at all? Is there any difference between HDMI cables?

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
It could be a HDMI cable (if you have another to test, try it) but I doubt it. Its more like a handshake issue with the components.

Few things to try to see if you get video:

- remove the HDMI cable from Onkyo to Media Box and swap HDMI cable around and reconnect it

- try the other HDMI ports on the Media box (HDMI-2, HDMI-3 and the front HDMI-4)

- turn everything "OFF" then power "ON" the Tv first then Media Box then Onkyo and last HD Receiver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JChin,

I want to thank you for all of your help with the problems I was having with my hookup. However, after following all of your instructions, I was still wondering why I could not get a TV signal from any of the HDMI inputs to the HDTV. I decided to look at the Onkyo receiver and noticed it said "Analog" in Red on the left side of the display. I opened up the panel and looked at the buttons, (and then consulted the manual), and, found the button for the HDMI out. I pressed it once, and, it showed HDMI(3) and then it changed to HDMI Through. After that came on, the HDTV flickered, and, wahlah(sp), picture!! And, not just a picture, but, what an incredible picture!!!!! Wow! What a difference!! Now, I can watch TV, use my DVD player, and have sound through the Klipsch Surround system!! Woohoo!!

Again, Thank you for your expertise, patience, and assistance in helping me to figure out what the problem was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.