AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 40" Sharp 120Hz LCD-LED TV (upgrade from an old 27" RCA CRT)...I decided to try and setup my theater properly, so I went HDMI from my Dish Network Receiver to the TV for the video, and optical audio from the Dish Network Receiver to the Sony Amp/Receiver STR-K750P surround sound which supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and other audio. I have the TV speakers turned off.

Most of the time with this setup, the lip sync is pretty good with stations like ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, ABC HD...TNT isn't as good...there are some lip sync which is off...the audio is a bit fast.

The main issue came in when I setup my Pioneer DVR/DVD Recorder...I bought component cables (first time I ever used these, been using RCA before) for the DVD player straight to the TV, and a coaxial audio cable to go from the DVD player to the Sony amp.

When watching Lord of the Rings (in SD, don't have a blue-ray yet), the lip sync is a bit fast...meaning the audio is a bit faster then the lips...my 11 year old could see it and commented on it.

Is the digital nature of the audio speeding up the signal? I thought coaxial was copper along with the component, so I thought they would both travel the same speed...the component cables are 10 ft long, the coaxial audio is 3 feet long...could the length be the problem why the audio is moving faster? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfharper /forum/post/20880319

Don't think I have such a setting...I've checked for this but did not find any. Is this a common setting among newer technology?

Yes indeed, most of the new HDTV and AV you will find this type of setting,

is there a possibilty that you can use a coax about 1.5 meter long, could you also try setting up the system on a different TV to see if the issue still remains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean lengthen the coaxial to try and slow the audio down a bit? My TV is new, but I don't have a lip-sync feature...I'm still under a 30 day return, so I have the option, but I really like the set.

I don't have another HDTV...this is my first one and will be my only one, probably for a while.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was reading someone installed a standalone unit that adjusts audio per program...can't remember what they called it.

Also, if I can get a newer av rec, perhaps that might help...can you recommend one for as low cost as possible that may give DD 5.1?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think the length of the cables is the problem, it is the amount of processing that is needed in the tv for the video and the receiver for the audio. Is there lip sync if you use the tv speakers, i.e. the tv processes both video and audio? I would think there is less to process the audio than the video, but you add the receiver into the audio processing, which should actually slow the audio down. The fact that lip sync issues can occur resulted in the newer equipment having an ability to adjust for it.

I recall from prior posts that people suggested changing the channel and back often helped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...what you described seems to be the issue, there is less out of sync using the tv speakers, but they stink...my amp is an older sony which probably does little processing which is why it is early...I turned some the processing settings down on the tv and that helped...it's still off...the audio is a bit early...if anything it should be a bit late...I think the only solution is to invest in an audio delay device (like a felston sp?) or get a new amp with an audio delay adjustment...will have to wait though since I'm not able to dump more money out right now...however, if I could find one for around $100s I might bite. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have you tried running everything through one unit be it the avr or tv? your tv should have a optical or coax out for 5.1 not sure if your avr supports hdmi also sometimes it's a handshake issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the avr doesn't have HDMI...if it did, that would probably be the fix...and the tv will not keep 5.1 from the HDMI source...the tv WILL put 5.1 out the optical only from the tuner...but not from the HDMI...I guess this is a common thing with tv's. Thanks for your reply

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.