AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here is how I had my setup when I encountered my problem:

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu ray player connected to Marantz SR8001 via HDMI, then the Marantz SR8001 connected to my TV via HDMI as well. This along with a 2.1 speaker setup, L/R and subwoofer.

Now the problem I have is I set the Marantz SR8001 to auto surround mode which I believe means it will determine the digital input signal (but does that mean it will take, let say a 5.1 TrueHD audio track, and set it correctly to be heard through a 2.1 setup).

Because when I throw in a blu ray disc into the blu ray player and start watching a movie the PCM light indicator will light up on the Marantz SR8001 (thats fine), but it will show the indicator lights for a 5.1 setup and I wont be able to hear voices (obviously since I dont have center channel).

At this point I have to set the Marantz SR8001 to stereo mode manually so that I can hear everything perfectly.

I guess what I'm asking is why doesnt the auto surround mode on the Marantz SR8001 do this on its own, I thought thats what it was suppose to do? No?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
90,353 Posts
The auto surround mode function lets you store in the memory the surround mode last used for playing the four types of input signals listed below.
  • Analog and PCM 2-channel signals
  • Dolby Digital and DTS 2-channel signals
  • Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel signals
  • LPCM Multi-channel signals

Note that the speaker indicator lights show the "input" signal. Once you run AUTO SETUP (Audyssey), doing so will properly configure the AVR such that with only a 2.1 setup, DD/DTS 5.1 audio will be down converted to the 2.1 speakers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so then i should setup Audyssey first? because i never did use it.

also, will setting up Audyssey effect listening to music through my 2.1 speaker setup because i switch back in forth from listening to music (from laptop via 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male) and watching movies?

because i like to listen to SACD iso's via Foobar2000.

i know i sound very newbish (which i am), but im just making sure everything is set right.

thanks in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts