AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an open box VSX1124 last night. It's open box because it didn't have a remote, but other than that it looks like nothing was ever taken out of the box.

I setup all the cables just fine and am using the Wiring Nav on my iPad to set it up. It was going fine till I got to the part "plug in the MCACC mic and follow the on screen instructions".

I plug in the mic and nothing happens, no OSD shows up on the tv all. If I hit Next on the app it thinks for a sec like it's going to do MCACC but the just reloads the page where it explAins how to plug it in!

I tried unplugging the mic, put it back, turn on and off the system etc and nothing works. And now I noticed that there is a red light on the front of the reciever on for "MCACC", which I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) it lights up when the mic is plugged in? Except it's on now while the mic is not plugged in!

So any suggestions? Am I screwed till I buy the actual remote for it, or is it maybe actually defective? I also could not find a way in the app to start the MCACC setup either, other than thru the Wiring Nav webpage it brought up.

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the 1024, should be the same.
Not to sure how you will do it with out the remote.
But you need to go into the set up page (on the remote, you first press "reciever" then "tools")
If you have HDMI out to TV, it should so up on what ever input you have it to.
But just plugging in Mic wont bring it up

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm so it won't run it thru the Wiring Nav app? You can only access it thru the remote?

What about the red light, is that always on for you? Any particular output to have it on to see the MCACC OSD on the TV?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! I managed to get to the MCACC menu using the remote from my 7yrold pioneer I'm replacing!

BUT.....now I've run into a new problem. I went to run it, it went around the speakers with noise but then it got to mic check and stopped. Just said "check mic" with "retry" option. I replugged it and ran it again. Same problem.

So I got out the old mic to try that. And it wouldn't even start, just said "connect mic". Ok, guess it's not compatible, so I plug back in the one that came with it to try again. Except now it says "connect mic" for that one too, and won't even start the process now though it did before!

What is going on?! Is this thing defective?

Anyone know how Best Buys open box item policy works? Would they swap it out or just make me return it? I got it for a great deal on it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Glad you figured out how to get the OSD to show up.
But thats kinda strange about the mic, personnely I haven't had that happen.
Does sound like it has crapped out?
At work right now so can't say about the red light.
I'd maybe call Pioneer and say your new out of the box mic is toast and see if they send you a new one.
I just bought one as I lost my original.
Could also just be a bad connection where mic plugs in?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Glad you figured out how to get the OSD to show up.
But thats kinda strange about the mic, personnely I haven't had that happen.
Does sound like it has crapped out?
At work right now so can't say about the red light.
I'd maybe call Pioneer and say your new out of the box mic is toast and see if they send you a new one.
I just bought one as I lost my original.
Could also just be a bad connection where mic plugs in?
Sound wise it works, I played a couple games on my PS4 fine. There was a lot more bass details I'd never noticed before in games like Destiny but maybe it's just cause it wasn't calibrated. I even loaded a blu-ray quick to test it out, as my PS4 did not like my old reciever for those, if set to bitstream the sound would just constantly stutter on the old one. But it worked fine on the new one, though sounded kinda flat since it's not calibrated.

But yeah I'm thinking the mic jack is broke. If you could tell me if that red light on the left side (where it says MCACC) is always on for you or not that'd help troubleshoot a bit. I'd "assume" that light is only one when the mic is plugged in and/or when MCACC is running, but I don't know for sure. Edit: Actually, maybe this light is always on to show that it is actually using the MCACC settings to adjust, as I do believe changing mine to "PURE DIRECT" the light went off. either way, if you could let me know I'd REALLY appreciate it!

I tried several, several times to plug it in, even trying to wiggle it a bit or put a bit of pressure on one side or the other but it will not read the mic at all now and just tells me to "Connect Mic" when I try and run the MCACC calibration.

I even had a very weird thing happen. I was playing Destiny with a friend for a good 20mins or so, then out of nowhere the reciever just switched to the MCACC screen! I was no where near the remote nor had anything pressed the botton. Ironically I was telling my friend about the whole situation when it did that, almost like it heard me talking bad about it! Ha ha

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Since it was "open-box" and likely a return, have you tried doing a microprocessor reset? This is probably somewhere in your manual or Google it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since it was "open-box" and likely a return, have you tried doing a microprocessor reset? This is probably somewhere in your manual or Google it.
Is that the same as a factory reset/restore?

If so I have not yet, didn't think of it till I read about it today. Does this sound like something that could fix?

I did find in the pdf manual that the red light is always on when it is using the MCACC eq settings, so that's not really an issue like I thought it would be, I just misunderstood what the light was for.

I was going to try and do a firmware update too when I get home today. Though I'm not sure I can get into that menu without the remote, but I'll find out.

But something seems off with either the mic port or maybe the mic itself. Though the mic was factory sealed, never opened. I also read that inserting the mic is suppose to automatically bring up the MCACC osd, which mine didn't. Hmmm maybe the mic was missing too and Best Buy just threw in some random one?

I really hope I can resolve this because it seems like product for the deal got, but so far I'm certainly paying for! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Is that the same as a factory reset/restore?
Yup. Give it a shot, can't hurt...although you will lose all of your current settings.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I did a firmware update last night (which there was one for it) and a factory reset and it changed nothing. It still doesn't detect the mic for the MCACC.

My boss has a VSX-824 and is going to let me borrow his mic today to see if the mic is my problem.

I'm thinking the mic jack is physical broke though, I don't really notice a "click" when I plug in the mic.

If that's the case I'm debating if I want to take it back to Best Buy and just pay full for a new one (or a NR-636) or try and deal with Pioneer to fix/replace it. I have no idea how good or bad their support is, or how long I might be without a reciever.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Well, that sucks. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.