Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

When I upgraded to the NEC-XG, I sold my 3501 to a good friend who is now having a slight problem with the blue tube (which was replaced recently). Its skew is far enough off that it is impossible to converge it with the other tubes. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for rotating the tube slightly to correct this condition?

Also, believe it or not, I have another friend that I convinced to buy a 9501LC who is having the same difficulty but with both red and blue. I know the ECP doesn't have independent tilt/skew adjustments for each gun, but does the Marquee? Or do we also need to handle that problem mechanically? Any help with the procedure on a Marquee would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Charles "dragging my friends down with me" Thornburgh

·
Registered
199 Posts
i would like to know this aswell . my blue tube is tilted so i can't quite converge the right top corner .

did'nt realy bother me till i managed to get everything else sorted out . now the slight blue ringing in that corner sticks out like a sore thumb:(

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
On the ECP series, it's fairly easy to rotate the yokes (after loosening the appropriate screw) to solve this problem. It's a good idea to zero out any convergence adjustments before doing this (hit the zero key on the remote while in convergence to reset).

Not as easy on a Marquee, and unless they've broken loose, should not be necessary. The magnetics should have been (hot melt) glued in place during initial setup. But if not, or they are really out of alignment, they can be moved. I'd want to figure out why it's necessary first, though... Perhaps Tim or someone else has the procedure for magnetics alignment on the 9500 series; I don't have a copy at the moment.

William

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I was reading a post from Curt ??? that described the fix (ECP) as loosening the clamp on the very front coil and rotating the coil. BEWARE OF VERY HIGH VOLTAGE!!!, could ruin your day, not to mention what it will do to your hair...:D

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Make sure you zero out all convergence before twisting any yokes so you are not trying to fix a convergence error with a permanent mechanical adjustment. On ECP's you turn yoke assembly. On Marquees there is only a master horizontal (vertical lines) skew in the geometry menu. There's no separate skew for red and blue. WM is correct in saying that's very unusual to see, so I'd perform a complete initialization to be sure you're not dealing with a really messed up convergence situation. If the red/blue are still out of whack (or they're fine and it's really the green that's off), then you'll have to turn the deflection yoke a little (the most forward yoke).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

So, on the ECP it sounds like a relatively straightforward adjustment--and yes I will do a hard reset to zero out everything before starting it.

On the Marquee, however, it sounds like a bigger challenge. I was assuming the problem was skew because after zeroing everything out to begin, red and blue were offset by about 30 degrees from green in opposite directions (center vertical line overlaps but horizontals were well out)--then after going through a complete setup there wasn't enough range left to bring the upper left and lower right corners into convergence. I know on my NEC this problem would be addressed with gun-specific geometry controls before even touching the point convergence--is this true of the Marquee as well?

Thanks again!

Charles

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Nope, if they're that far out, it's a yoke adjustment. The good news is, there's no way it came that way from the factory, so that unit's probably been retubed and it should be really easy to turn the yokes.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Well, it is normal for red and blue to be skewed in opposite directions on a Marquee after doing a reset on the convergence. Depends on screen size and crt angle, and local magnetic field. It's NOT normal to run out of convergence adjustment, so if they are really badly skewed, then like Mike said, it's probably been retubed and not set up properly. I worked on one once that had been retubed by the manufacturer, but they forgot to glue the red and blue yokes in place after they adjusted them, so shipping wiped out the adjustment. (customer was not pleased, since they had paid manufacturer for setting it up right)

William

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An Update:

So we tried the full setup a few more times without any luck...still not enough convergence bandwidth to get the corners. I suspect your theory is exactly right, William, that the unit came out of alignment during shipping. Contacted the seller and they said the shipper will cover the cost of a visit from a tech to realign the tubes...

Anyone have a suggestion as to who we should use for this? Also, we need an estimate right away so we can file it with the shipping company and get the ball rolling. Anybody able to do an estimate based on whats been covered in this thread so far?

Thanks again,

Charles

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Realignment on the Marquee is a real chore and not for beginners. If one is very very lucky only the sweep yokes are turned; if one is careful they can reset the horizons by removing the tubes' top covers, turning the sweep yoke, being very careful not to get a jolt from the yoke wires, and hot glue it to prevent future rotation. If one is not so lucky then all the magnetics will need realignment. This involves reaching amid lethal voltages AND knowing the procedures; this is not for neophytes; it is best done with the tube covers removed, which means taking the sides off, pulling each tube out to strip the covers off, aligning the sweep yoke, convergence yoke, focus yoke, and flare magnet rings, then reassembly of the tube covers and cabinet, plus zone stig and zone focus via the IR keypad. I typically charge ten hours' labor for a retube, much of that time is spent fidgeting with the magnetics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim,

Thanks for the advice--I'm right there with 'ya. Absolutely no desire to go through that complicated and potentially lethal routine without a pro.

Speaking of which, are you up for a weekend in SF...a little pj fun on Saturday and 49ers on Sunday??

;-)

Anyway, I appreciate the estimate--is there anyone local who could do this(assuming Tim can't make it) ? Would hate to have Tim do his thing and then ship it back to us only to have it fall out of shape again. Would probably like to combine it with a full on-site calibration

Thanks!!

Charles

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Charles,

I do have experience doing this. I've been digging to see if I can find the instructions I got from E'home a couple of years ago but so far no luck. I'll check with Tim and Curt and see if I can get updated on it and then get in touch with you. I doubt you need a full magnetic alignment, it's probably just the deflection yokes that need touching up.

William

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim
Guys!

Realignment on the Marquee is a real chore and not for beginners. If one is very very lucky only the sweep yokes are turned; if one is careful they can reset the horizons by removing the tubes' top covers, turning the sweep yoke, being very careful not to get a jolt from the yoke wires, and hot glue it to prevent future rotation. If one is not so lucky then all the magnetics will need realignment. This involves reaching amid lethal voltages AND knowing the procedures; this is not for neophytes; it is best done with the tube covers removed, which means taking the sides off, pulling each tube out to strip the covers off, aligning the sweep yoke, convergence yoke, focus yoke, and flare magnet rings, then reassembly of the tube covers and cabinet, plus zone stig and zone focus via the IR keypad. I typically charge ten hours' labor for a retube, much of that time is spent fidgeting with the magnetics.
I DEFINITELY agree with Tim on this one:eek:!!!

I have done quite a few of these "Yoke Tilts" in my day on mostly Barcos and ECPs, but when I attempted to do it on my TAW-HD800 (Marquee 8110+ chassis), I had to loosen the hot glue (what a pain in the royal a$$, why do they do that!?!?!?) to turn the yokes for what I thought was a simple installation adjustment. Well, as it turns out I ended up shorting the windings of my green CRT's yoke and fried the tube:(!!! It ended up costing me $1300 bucks for new tube from...you guessed it...Tim Martin...Thanks Tim:D!!!

So the moral of the story is...seek Tim's advice BEFORE you try to attempt something like this;)!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.