AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am having a hard time finding info on the following questions. This seemed like a place with some knowledgeable help. I appreciate any and all help I can get.

I am looking to build a whole house entertainment solution. Here is what I would like to be able to accomplish.

I live in a 2800 square foot 2 story house. I will have 2 HD tv's upstairs and one down stairs.

I am planning to build the HTPC/Gaming rig (parts listed below}.

What I would like to accomplish is to have the capability to play music, video, internet surf on any tv in the house.

I would also like the tv with the HTPC system by it to be able to play games on it.

I currently have cable television and would like to "cut the cord" and only watch over the air tv or subscribe to a low cost alternative such as netflix or hulu.

I have a constant 20 mb per sec internet connection.

What other components would I need to accomplish my goals.

Thanks

Dan

The listing below has parts for an AMD and Intel build, I havent decided which way to go yet.

Motherboard $109.99 GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

C.P.U. $194.99 AMD PHENOM II X6 100T BLACK EDITION THUBAN 3.3 GHZ 3.7 TURBO

Cooler $24.99 ZEROtherm ZT-560D 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Video Card 2 $499.98 EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI support Video Card

Motherboard $229.99 MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

C.P.U. $314.99 iNTEL cORE i7 2600 sANDY bRIDEGE 3.4 GHZ

Cooler $46.00 COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle

Power Supply $94.99 Corsair CMPSU 650 tx 650 W atxV12

Hard Drive $169.99 OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC

Internal Solid State Drive $74.99 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory $299.97 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3- 17000CL11D-8GBXL

Case $60.99 APEVIA X-MASTER-BL/500 ATX HTPC Case

Bray Disc $139.99 SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BWU-500S

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Woah! Woah! what's with these super high powered boxes?

Massive over kill. Energy wasters.

If OTA is the primary app, then start with the basic pieces.. Great signal quality, good antennas.. TV tuners, the HD Homeruns make distributed OTA television childs play.. just need very good signal. Two dual HD Homeruntuners the new versions will get you video anywhere. Cheap Sandy Bridge clients with G620s on hdmi equipped mainboards will handle the playback. If you want super special high quality playback then consider NVidia GPUs to go in your intel G620 clients.. If you want a centralized store for movies or audio consider an inexpensive NAS or build a cheap Windows Home Server based on a low power Sandy Bridge.. Your clients can have green drives in them and use only about 25 watts a piece. If you want them to be instant on, install the client's OS on small SSDs and use magentic drives for the data storage.

I assume you have worked out how you want to do audio playback. HDMI to AVRs works well and allows bistreaming of HD audio. Cheap Microsoft type remotes will allow for control of the Media Center PCs. If you want to control the TV, the receiver and Media Center, then something like a Harmony will do all 3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Woah! Woah! what's with these super high powered boxes? IF I CAN GET AWAY WITH SOMETHING NOT SO HIGH POWERED AND STILL BE ABLE TO GAME THEN I'M ALL FOR IT. I NEED A MEDIA PC THAT IS CAPABLE OF PLAYING CAAL OF DUTY ALSO.

Massive over kill. Energy wasters.

If OTA is the primary app, then start with the basic pieces.. Great signal quality, good antennas.. TV tuners, the HD Homeruns make distributed OTA television childs play.. just need very good signal. Two dual HD Homeruntuners the new versions will get you video anywhere. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Cheap Sandy Bridge clients with G620s on hdmi equipped mainboards will handle the playback. If you want super special high quality playback then consider NVidia GPUs to go in your intel G620 clients..WILL THIS ALLOW GAMING?

If you want a centralized store for movies or audio consider an inexpensive NAS SUGGESTIONS?

or build a cheap Windows Home Server based on a low power Sandy Bridge.. Your clients can have green drives in them and use only about 25 watts a piece. If you want them to be instant on, install the client's OS on small SSDs and use magentic drives for the data storage.

I assume you have worked out how you want to do audio playback. HDMI to AVRs works well EXACTLY!

and allows bistreaming of HD audio. Cheap Microsoft type remotes will allow for control of the Media Center PCs. If you want

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

So my remaining question is:

How many pc's do I need for this job?

"What I would like to accomplish is to have the capability to play music, video, internet surf on any tv in the house.

I would also like the tv with the HTPC system by it to be able to play games on it.

How can I accomplish this, wired or wirelessly {preferred}.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.